Fan clutch noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnguy55

Reaction score
Last winter my 94 K1500 with a 5.7 & 230,000 miles started making a pretty bad sounding rattling noise when started up cold. It would mostly go away when warmed up. It ended up being the fan clutch. I replaced the clutch and rattle was gone but the fan noise over about 2500 RPM is terrible. I ran it like this for several months, thinking maybe the clutch needed to "wear" in. Today I took it back and got a repalcement. I'm not sure what brand they are (they say made in USA on them). I got them from Advance. The new one is just as bad as the first repalcement. Just to be sure this is the cause of the noise I took the clutch off my 93 K 1500 (I think it is the original) which is 99% the same truck as the 94 and put it on the 94 and the noise was gone.

Anybody had bad experience with replacement fan clutches? I hate to go back and ask for another but I dont know what else to do?

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
yep oem replacement is the only way to go the cheaper ones at parts stores are always noisy in my experience..... they always make a truck sound like a jet plane

Sent from my static android

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
i bought mine from advanced and havent had any issues probally have 4k on it now still tight :shrug:

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they gave you a heavy duty one, usualy they ask for the rear end ratio when buying a clutch fan wich can tell them if heavy duty or standard

mnguy55

Reaction score
They did give me the thicker severe duty model which is what the truck had originally.

I've learned quite a bit about clutch fans in the last day or two. It looks like there are two models, heavy duty and severe duty, that would fit my truck with a 3.73 getting a severe duty and 3.42 getting heavy duty. The bolt patterns are the same but the severe duty is noticably thicker. Both my 93 and 94 GMT400's are 3.73 and the factory original clutch was the severe duty model on both. My 93 still has the factory original as far as I can tell. It makes no noticalbe fan noise and neither did the factory clutch on my 94. I replaced the 94 clutch last winter because the bearing was shot and the clutch started wobbling and making noise. On the 93 the factory orignal clutch is stiff when cold if it has been sitting but if you spin it by hand for a minute or so it loosens up quite a bit. The Hayden severe duty I now have on the 94 never loosens up, it is always really stiff, even after driving it down the highway today on a cool day (when the clutch should not have been engaging much) it is really stiff. I went to the parts store and looked at the other model, the heavy duty. I spun it by hand for a minite and it loosened up a lot, like my factory orignal severe duty model on the 93. I'm going to see if Advance will swap my the malfunctioing severe duty for a heavy duty. I dont ever tow and I line in northern MN where it donest get really hot so I dont need a severe duty one anyway. I sure hope this fixes it. I have to run it in OD at any speed over 45 unless I want to go deaf. Anthing over about 2500 RPM sounds like an ariplane and every time you start out from a spot sign the shift points are in the high 2000's so this drives my nuts. What really puzzles me is the the first Hayden severe duty clutch I got last winter to repalce my factory orignal initally only made the fan roar for a few minutes when it was cold and had been sitting a while. I could live with that but it seemed to get worse over time until recently the roar never stopped. The second Hayden severe duty I just got the other day had the fan roar all the time from day one and now has about 100 miles on it and no change.

mnguy55

Reaction score
I swapped the Hayden severe duty fan for a heavy duty and it shounds fine now. It shouldnt have made much difference based on the slippage specs that Hayden has on both.