Factory radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Re your radio project. I strongly suggest that you test your speakers before reinstalling . The old Delco speakers tend to be crap. On my truck all were open and would make no sound at all. This may have happened to your previous owner when he took the radio out. The radio could be bad or it could have bad speakers or both. Suggest finding an audio source or at least brush the leads from a small battery on your speaker wires and listen for a click. Either way you need to make sure the speakers work before going to the trouble of installing a radio.
True true.

@redshift The flashing arrows means your motors are not providing the proper feedback the controller is expecting from a position change. So if you change from floor to face and the motor doesn't "tell" the controller that it moved, it will flash the mode arrows. Same with the temperature door. So either the gears have skipped and the feedback pot is no longer in the right position, causing the motor to bind or continue running until the controller "gives up" trying, or the feedback pot is dirty. The former in this case is far more likely.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re your radio project. I strongly suggest that you test your speakers before reinstalling . The old Delco speakers tend to be crap. On my truck all were open and would make no sound at all. This may have happened to your previous owner when he took the radio out. The radio could be bad or it could have bad speakers or both. Suggest finding an audio source or at least brush the leads from a small battery on your speaker wires and listen for a click. Either way you need to make sure the speakers work before going to the trouble of installing a radio.
I’ll definitely try that before wiring everything. Thanks for the heads up

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah they can be on pretty tight, the connector terminals do not want to let go easily. I broke all the "retainer" clips off mine, the relays I put in there didn't have anything for them to latch to anyway. They're not gonna come detached from the connectors once you put them on, so don't worry too much about breaking the tabs off.
Got the relays off, checking a few parts stores to see if they have it. NAPA ordered them for me and said they would be here in the afternoon but they aren’t here yet

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The forum keeps auto-embedding it.
Code:
Try putting the link inside of [code][ /code] tags. I think that should keep the link from embedding.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Got the relays off, checking a few parts stores to see if they have it. NAPA ordered them for me and said they would be here in the afternoon but they aren’t here yet
Just about any 30/40 Amp ISO relay will work, they don't have to be the factory set. I bought a set of 10 generic relays off ebay for like $8 lol. They've been keeping my system happy for a year now. Yes I have four of them, I have the 4-speed system.

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_173836.jpg
    IMG_20210304_173836.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 15

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about any 30/40 Amp ISO relay will work, they don't have to be the factory set. I bought a set of 10 generic relays off ebay for like $8 lol. They've been keeping my system happy for a year now. Yes I have four of them, I have the 4-speed system.
Well I’ll be darned, thanks for telling me that I was about to buy them they were charging like 20-25 per relay.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score

redshift

Reaction score
Just try looking me up on tiktok lol, wastabasta44 is the name lol
Repost still looks blank here, but found it on Tik Tok, thanks so much! Mine is definitely not that relay buzz sound, so I'll be replacing the blower motor. (Though I'll remove it and see if it might just need debris cleaned out first. It's possible that leaves or accumulated stuff could be what's causing the intermittent buzzing.)

Thanks again !