Factory radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Heh.... Brake cleaner I think would work pretty well maybe? That's a pretty significant issue if the whole truck is dying tho. Somewhere is a loose connection.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a pretty significant issue if the whole truck is dying tho. Somewhere is a loose connection.

Was about to post this but you beat me to it. This really sounds like a pretty major connection issue somewhere. I'd be checking battery cables closely.

Another random thought but OP says the battery is a "new high crank" type, it's not an Optima is it? I had an issue with one of them years ago where the positive side terminal had a short or crack internally. It was fine 90% of the time, but once in a while would completely refuse to start the truck. Weirdest electrical issue I've ever had in a vehicle.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh.... Brake cleaner I think would work pretty well maybe? That's a pretty significant issue if the whole truck is dying tho. Somewhere is a loose connection.
Well I cleaned the ground wire and where it connected really well, but still getting that sound from the relays, it’s actually worse with the new relays it doesn’t stop buzzing. The old ones it would stop after a while, buzzing in between sometimes

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was about to post this but you beat me to it. This really sounds like a pretty major connection issue somewhere. I'd be checking battery cables closely.

Another random thought but OP says the battery is a "new high crank" type, it's not an Optima is it? I had an issue with one of them years ago where the positive side terminal had a short or crack internally. It was fine 90% of the time, but once in a while would completely refuse to start the truck. Weirdest electrical issue I've ever had in a vehicle.
It’s a Diehard 800 cranks

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

^X2 on battery cables. My truck would randomly power down and then power back on. Turned out to be a corroded positive battery cable where it had been spliced before (unbeknownst to me). One day I just let in idle in the driveway and waited for it to kill, and saw smoke from under the hood. I cut the bad part out & spliced a piece of wire wire in there but that failed after a while also. New battery cable fixed it.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys are right about the battery cables. Ill get them replaced, how much does that cost for the cables and installation from a mechanic?

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you guys are right about the battery cables. Ill get them replaced, how much does that cost for the cables and installation from a mechanic?
Not sure on cost for a mechanic. I did it myself.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I was looking through the service manual and saw this where it says if the blower motor won’t engage in med or hi I should replace the blower switch and/or repair the “open in ORN 52 wire from resistor to blower switch” what’s your take on this??

Attachments

• 11E00765-8842-416A-ABD8-9D9F501C0619.png
    11E00765-8842-416A-ABD8-9D9F501C0619.png
    728.4 KB · Views: 9
  • E171053A-66EA-4BB7-BD66-5BFC81C33D99.png
    E171053A-66EA-4BB7-BD66-5BFC81C33D99.png
    640.6 KB · Views: 9

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Applies to full-manual controls only... Not the electronic controller system.
Is there a ground wire under the bench seat? I noticed it wasn’t connected to anything, could it be related?

Attachments

• 053C953D-E9E2-4334-99DF-CA0E9992C90E.jpeg
    053C953D-E9E2-4334-99DF-CA0E9992C90E.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 10