Factory radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redshift

Reaction score
@redshift The flashing arrows means your motors are not providing the proper feedback the controller is expecting from a position change. So if you change from floor to face and the motor doesn't "tell" the controller that it moved, it will flash the mode arrows. Same with the temperature door. So either the gears have skipped and the feedback pot is no longer in the right position, causing the motor to bind or continue running until the controller "gives up" trying, or the feedback pot is dirty. The former in this case is far more likely.

Thanks so much for this. Super helpful. :)

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I added some info to a prior post, not sure if you had a chance to see - look up above your data link connector behind the dash, there should be a factory ground point there. According to my 90 HVAC diagram, everything for the HVAC system grounds at that point, and it could be loose, causing a bad connection. I can't think of what else it may be, aside from a bad control head, but that's a last resort fix item.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added some info to a prior post, not sure if you had a chance to see - look up above your data link connector behind the dash, there should be a factory ground point there. According to my 90 HVAC diagram, everything for the HVAC system grounds at that point, and it could be loose, causing a bad connection. I can't think of what else it may be, aside from a bad control head, but that's a last resort fix item.
Checked it and nothing seemed loose, I think it might be because I bought two relays from one store and one relay from another because nobody has 3 in stock. Maybe if I have 3 of the same it might work?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It really shouldn't matter... Something isn't right somewhere else and aside from the control head now, I'm not sure what else it might be.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The junkyard by me should have a control head, I can definitely get another one pretty easily. I tell ya boy those relays were buzzing, you were spot on about the relays making the noise, seems dangerous could that start a fire?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Not likely, the buzzing just means for that time period they don't have enough current to fully close the contacts. That's why I question the ground point. But it shouldn't be dangerous, just annoying.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not likely, the buzzing just means for that time period they don't have enough current to fully close the contacts. That's why I question the ground point. But it shouldn't be dangerous, just annoying.
This is what you’re wanting me to check right?

Attachments

• 82222979-875A-431B-AF97-B20D35794ECD.jpeg
    82222979-875A-431B-AF97-B20D35794ECD.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 13

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah, somewhere above that connector should be a grounding point. It may seem tight but there's also a possibility it's corroded, you might just pull it off, clean it, put it back and then check functions again... Also, what's the battery condition? And are the problems just as bad while driving?

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What should I clean it with? A towel with isopropyl alcohol??

The truck drives great, sometimes I do feel it lose power like it turned off for .5 seconds all lights and power disappear but then the power comes right back. Really just happens for a fraction of a second but then the power comes right back. Has a brand new high crank rated battery