Factory radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m trying to install the factory radio system, person who had the truck before removed their stereo and cut plug and wires when removing their stereo.

Got a few questions, watched a lot of videos before coming and asking but these questions still remain.

1. The AM/FM tuner module has a yellow cord in the back and I can’t figure out where it attaches. The CDM has no port for it. There is a picture attached to show the yellow cord that I’m referring to.

2. The plugs that connect into the opposite side of the CDM have been cut, I ordered a new plug online. I believe this plug gives power to the CDM, is that correct?
You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been about 2 decades since I installed my aftermarket stereo and had the dash apart. So this is just a shot in the dark. But is it possible that the yellow plug goes to the cassette player? It almost looks long enough. Good luck, hopefully someone comes with a definite answer for you.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been about 2 decades since I installed my aftermarket stereo and had the dash apart. So this is just a shot in the dark. But is it possible that the yellow plug goes to the cassette player? It almost looks long enough. Good luck, hopefully someone comes with a definite answer for you.
Thanks for your response sir, I just checked the cassette player and it has nothing for it to plug into. I have the dash disassembled and can’t seem to find where it will go. It was already unplugged when I got it out so that’s why I have been having trouble figuring it out

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The yellow wires are for the equalizer. If your cassette player does not have an equalizer (no screen, manual controls), then it cannot go anywhere, and you will not be able to adjust bass or treble. You can either get a cassette player with EQ or a tuner that has bass/treble controls. This one will not have the additional pigtail. Also note that the EQ system requires a CDM that is set up for an equalizer, otherwise you will not be able to adjust the middle 3 frequencies.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The yellow wires are for the equalizer. If your cassette player does not have an equalizer (no screen, manual controls), then it cannot go anywhere, and you will not be able to adjust bass or treble. You can either get a cassette player with EQ or a tuner that has bass/treble controls. This one will not have the additional pigtail. Also note that the EQ system requires a CDM that is set up for an equalizer, otherwise you will not be able to adjust the middle 3 frequencies.
WOW! Thank you so much I love this forum! So just to make sure, this will work I just won’t be able to adjust the bass/treble right??

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well.....I was 3/4 right!!! Lol. There were 2 different cassette players, one with the EQ and one without. So this leads me to believe that you don't have the EQ. So tuck the wire up and forgot about it. And ya, stuck at the mercy of GM audio settings.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.....I was 3/4 right!!! Lol. There were 2 different cassette players, one with the EQ and one without. So this leads me to believe that you don't have the EQ. So tuck the wire up and forgot about it. And ya, stuck at the mercy of GM audio settings.
Thank you so much! Do you know if whatever plugs into this part of the CDM is the power plug? Mine has been cut, so I ordered a new plug, dreading having to wire it up because the plug has so many wires on it, not sure if they all need to be wired

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't help with that, but there are wiring diagrams for all our trucks on the site somewhere. I would guess there would be powers and grounds for the cassette player and "head unit", some kind of communication wires as well. Let alone all the speaker wires , 2 to each speaker. So you probably will have to wire up the majority of them, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.