Factory or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i’ve started the next part of my 97 Suburban build which is tidying up the wiring under the dash and in the engine bay as well as cleaning each ground as i currently have an electrical gremlin some where. I wanted advice on wither the cluster of wiring pictured below is factory or not? The RPO code stated no factory alarm was installed just power locks and windows. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpeg
    IMG_1261.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 47

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see insulated butt connectors in your picture (those aren't OE) and some funky device(s) zip-tied to the wiring bundle that looks like third-party electro-junk. What you have there is potentially a problem waiting to happen.

I would remove the third-party electro-junk and reconnect the OE wires that have been spliced / disturbed. I would personally solder and heat-shrink any (re)connections that I made, but that's just me.

Disconnect the battery first.

I know my instructions are terse.

My rule of thumb is "Reconnect like wires to like wires", and it works pretty well. "Like" in this case means "color and gauge".

If you want more details, I suggest you download the service manual .pdf (it's here on GMT400, somewhere, I don't have the link handy) and look-up the wiring diagram for the ignition switch circuit. There, it will show you each wire's function based on its color.

:popcorn:

PS: In case you (or some other reader) doesn't know, those wires wrapped in yellow covering, with yellow connectors, are for the SIR / airbag; they're colored that way intentionally. Nobody should have messed with those, and you shouldn't either. If you see they've been tampered-with, take note and post it here.

Last edited:

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd agree with the aftermarket alarm. I'm thinking of an aftermarket remote start for our cold a.. morning's.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for replying quickly, this weekend I plan to remove all the unnecessary wiring. After troubleshooting everything possible according to the service manual I hope it’s the source of my issues if not at least its one less worry.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s a photo of the device that’s tucked away towards the firewall. I haven’t seen anything like it..typing the in certain keywords based off the label results in nothing. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 32

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need more than the average service manual to remove this.
You will want to color code every wire and what circuit it impacts before you cut anything.
Cut one thing in the wrong order or cause a short without proper care, can be very expensive.

First thing is Air Bags:
Yellow Sheath protected wires should never be cut or the bag goes boom.

The process for unplugging the airbag system is very strict or you can get very hurt.
It also may require being reset, so it works correctly after it has been messed with or may fail when you need it. When it blows, your seat belt activation system will be blown as well. they are connected.
Let's hope the Yellow Wire Sheaths are not involved whatsoever.

That is not the risk I speak of...

If it is an alarm, and you do not have $3000.00 wheels and tires, I would strongly consider removing the thing before it causes you to get stuck somewhere. (There I said it...)

HOWEVER: If you don't know what you are doing, get somebody to look it over who is excellent with automotive wiring repairs to do it for you. Excellent... not kinda good.

If you do not disconnect power PROPERLY, which may include draining circuit voltage from hidden capacitors, disconnecting the primary and secondary ECM's, (in the correct order), before you cut or interrupt some hack-mod, you could end up with a bigger mess or hurt your computer or your dash gauges diode circuit, with accidental dead short.

None of this is in the Service Manuals. The service manuals do not explain how to remove a hacked electrical system. They can assist with normal repairs, but years of experience is what you want here.

Just unplugging the alarm module could cause a spark across the usually poor designed connector circuit of these hack alarms. These things are famous for damaging electrical systems.

If you accidentally blow your gauge cluster diode, Rock Auto wants $350 for a re-manufactured cluster, with a core charge, last I looked. When the hidden internal diode blows, the battery runs down and ends up dead from parasitic draw every 2 days. It can be very expensive to diagnose for the unfamiliar GM mechanic...

The proper Fluke micro voltage amp meter probe to detect the parasitic drain is not affordable for most home mechanics and the cheap ones do NOT work. The affordable local corner repair shop might not have one for the first $300 diagnostics charges, either... after they buy one, find the diode is bad and replace your cluster, it can easily be $600-$700 OR MORE.

If you are running an AGM battery and you kill it 2-3 times all the way dead, (because the diode is shot), now your AGM is shot too. Some AGM batteries will not tolerate being drained at all. There's another $250.00

The computer is $190 and will require reprogramming if you hit it.

The wiring diagram is your friend and it is not for the feint of heart.
What you have there is a can of worms, if you are not absolutely certain what you are doing.

Sometimes doing nothing, is the best solution, if you do not comprehend the risk with the repair and this is one of those moments. Even a seasoned mechanic can get this wrong, but a shop will have insurance if they blow the cluster or stick you with the added costs of the cluster and a replacement ECM.

You have to plan this carefully is what I'm saying. Trace every circuit and KNOW what it does and where it goes before you screw it up.

Do NOT pull the alarm harness to module connector, with power enabled.

You may have to disconnect the battery for several days before all the residual voltages are properly drained, the way GM designed the circuitry in there.

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a photo of the device that’s tucked away towards the firewall. I haven’t seen anything like it..typing the in certain keywords based off the label results in nothing. Ideas?
That's a car alarm, with keyless entry functionality(I suppose there is or atleast there should be a remote keyfob) Is your gremlin perhaps the starter motor not always engaging?

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tl:dr for RanchWelder's post:

Disconnect the negative battery terminal before you start and wait about five minutes for stuff to discharge
Don't play with the yellow looms
Don't go cutting any more wires than you need to fix

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a car alarm, with keyless entry functionality(I suppose there is or atleast there should be a remote keyfob) Is your gremlin perhaps the starter motor not always engaging?
It engages fine just rather loud and stays on briefly after start. I’m experiencing ground issues it seems as my cluster gauges randomly max out and return to normal, lights are dim (bulbs changed), interior lights flicker and come on and off randomly and strangely I ain’t got no horn (New relay and wiring) yet still nothing worked the day I picked it up from the sellers house since then nothing.