Extremely Low Temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had my transmission and radiator replaced since then I have been getting extremely low temps, 120 if I'm lucky this has caused my mpg to go to 11mpg. I have found that my clutch fan always runs very fast it also has some play in it. I checked the temperature sensor by buying a thermometer and testing coolant temperature (stupid I know) after driving for 30 minutes I was at 110 degrees. I replaced my water pump this summer.
My questions are
-What is operating temperature?
-What temps are you running?
-Should the clutch fan have play?
-If the clutch fan has failed at max rpm constantly how does the thermostat not compensate for my temperature fluctuation?
-Even if the thermostat was stuck open the coolant wouldn't remain in the radiator long enough to become cool right?
-Wouldn't it throw some sort of code?
-Can I check the actual temp from the PCM just to make sure the gauge isn't bad?
I have not reached 210 degrees since early december when the replacement was made.

Last edited:

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
truck should run at about 190-210 if I remember right... Mine runs at about 150 and it ****** me off in this bone shivering cold winter we have been having. I have heard so many explanations for what the problem is I dont know what it is. I am going to start with a t-stat, then do the fan clutch, then worse case scenario I will replace the heater core... If the t-star is stuck open it will never get up to temp, happened to me on other cars and is a cheap fix. fan clutch blowing all the time will overcool the engine so that is an option too. chances are you will not see an engine code for overcooling. If you think your gauge is wrong install a cheap parts store mechanical gauge, theyre about $20.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tested the gauge with a fuseable jumper wire and found out the gauge works just fine so that problem is solved. with the exception of actually accomplishing something in the automotive industry I really didn't help a whole lot

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to replace the fan clutch, thermostat, and sensors. Then I will have an ENTIRELY new cooling system and if it still is acting up I'll crash it into a tree and get the insurance money.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with the thermostat, cheap n easy. If fan is always locked then fuel mileage will also suffer, so might as well replace it too.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
temp sensor

Start with the thermostat, cheap n easy. If fan is always locked then fuel mileage will also suffer, so might as well replace it too.
I got a temp sensor from oreily's and the connetion seems to be different. Is there a write up on replacement?

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the one for the top without the pigtails. Damn oreily's I said the one next to spark plug #1. This sensor is having a hard time coming out

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
To answer your question, with the T-Stat stuck open, yes, coolant will cool enough in the radiator. Your T-stat is there for that very purpose, to keep your engine warm.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced it and it added like 20 degrees so on to the thermostat anyone want to point me to a write up?