Exhaust system choices with a 4/6 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Belltech 4/6 drop on my 93 C2500 Extended Cab and am looking for an exhaust system.
I would like a single 3" exhaust from the cat back and have it exit out the factory location.
Does anyone know of any clearance issues concern with the lowering or could recommend a system to look at?
I would like to run a Thrush Welded Muffler, but they do not produce any exhaust kits for this year.
However, if I can find the correct 3" exhaust for the muffler back that would work as well.

Lastly, yes I typically do visit a local muffler shop and have them do this for me custom, but the shop has a premium as they are working with 3" pipe and did not know what they would run into, so I was quoted 380 on this setup with a flowmaster 40.

Thanks

Thanks

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The price you were quoted is not out of line at all.

The main thing to watch out for is where the exhaust goes over the axle. It has to be up high enough that the axle hits the bump stops before hitting the exhaust. Stock exhausts do not sit up high enough to do this, especially with a C notch. Otherwise, no different than making an exhaust for any other lowered vehicle in terms of making sure pipes and mufflers are tucked up and out of the way.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Granted different vehicle but my Tahoe is pretty low in the back, bout n inch or so away from bump stops (really annoying, need to trim em down) but have dynomax tailpipe, and doesn’t hit. Not sure if they make one, maybe could use this one n modify it. Was only $120 or something, 3” mandrel bent with polished tip.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you want a 3" exhaust from the cat? If you want the look, put a 3" tip on. The cat is the choke point, adding larger diameter pipe after it won't give you any advantage, it'll just cost more. Use whatever diameter pipe the muffler is, then put a 3" tip on.
Agreed that over the axle can present a problem with a lowered truck, just follow the advice above and you should be good.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '98 @ 4/7 has a 3" cat-back single exhaust.
Up-sized custom Y-pipe. Which, unless you're running headers, that factory under-sized Y-pipe is the most restrictive point of flow.
Exits out the passenger side behind the tire.
No clearance probs at all with suspension interference.
I don't carry a spare tire, though.

I will add, it sounds like ****, &, according to my right foot, lost a lot of low-end horsepower.
Money.
Well...
Spent.
Can't wait to get that junk system off. It's getting a header-back, dual 2.5", H-piped system with old-school-style 'Corvair Turbo' mufflers. Exiting behind the wheels on each side.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replys.
My tuck does not have a Cat on it only a 3" pipe running to a 3" inlet/outlet muffler, and the pipe is chopped off after that.

I figured I would replace the missing cat with a universal, and run a better sounding exhaust.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replys.
My tuck does not have a Cat on it only a 3" pipe running to a 3" inlet/outlet muffler, and the pipe is chopped off after that.

I figured I would replace the missing cat with a universal, and run a better sounding exhaust.
Makes sense.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m running a stainless magnaflow dual exit exhaust with a 4” drop in the rear. I had clearance issues around the rear axle. Paid premium for a bolt in system, but didn’t take into account being lowered. If I could do it again, I would have just got a shop to do up a custom exhaust.

You must be registered for see images attach

After fighting with it for a couple days, took it to an exhaust shop and they crush bent my poor exhaust to get it to fit. Sad.