Exhaust Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
No y-pipe on mine- the manifolds run down to my cats (seperate cats) and out the back on completely different lines with glasspacks.

And as far as headers go, I would either go long tubes or none at all. They melt wires and shorties don't really do much :imo: It's always a fun idea to toy with though.

Sh!tty plug wires will melt regardless of what header you are using if they are resting on the tubes or nearly are.
A lot of people are running shorties and a lot of people are happy with them (regarding looks, price, and performance Gains) I'm not trying to argue here..
but how do you figure they don't do much? Have you had shorties or longtubes on a vehicle you daily drove?

I mean.. ~$600 roughly for longtubes, then you have to re-do the majority of the exhaust regardless... ~$150 for shorties, keep stock y-pipe and your good to go. Seems like a no-brainer unless your sh!ttin fiftys!

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well this isnt going to happen very soon so I have time to think about it. I like the idea of putting headers on since the gaskets need replaced anyway but I also dont want to deal with melted wires or the price tag of long tubes.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Sh!tty plug wires will melt regardless of what header you are using if they are resting on the tubes or nearly are.
A lot of people are running shorties and a lot of people are happy with them (regarding looks, price, and performance Gains) I'm not trying to argue here..
but how do you figure they don't do much? Have you had shorties or longtubes on a vehicle you daily drove?

I mean.. ~$600 roughly for longtubes, then you have to re-do the majority of the exhaust regardless... ~$150 for shorties, keep stock y-pipe and your good to go. Seems like a no-brainer unless your sh!ttin fiftys!

Yeah, I follow what you're saying. I geuss I've heard multiple places that short tubes don't do much better than stock manifolds. My Dad had longtubes on his '74 and I didn't feel a huge difference when he went back to stock on that... they only help a lot when you have a lot of OTHER things like cam upgrades and what not.

And I know all headers melt wires, I was just making him aware that he'll have to mess with that either way.

Don't worry, I don't feel like you are arguing. Good questions though.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Yeah, I follow what you're saying. I geuss I've heard multiple places that short tubes don't do much better than stock manifolds. My Dad had longtubes on his '74 and I didn't feel a huge difference when he went back to stock on that... they only help a lot when you have a lot of OTHER things like cam upgrades and what not.

And I know all headers melt wires, I was just making him aware that he'll have to mess with that either way.

Don't worry, I don't feel like you are arguing. Good questions though.

Ok good, didn't want to come off arrogant in that post. Definitely the more upgrades/mods you have, the more they will benefit each other.
But seeing as the exhaust manifolds are one of the top restrictions on these engines, I can't see any negative effects coming from the addition of shorty headers. UNLESS - all your wires melted off once they come up to temp :D