Exhaust Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not really sure what the name of it is but where the manifolds connect to the y pipe that gasket is leaking? My question is what name of that part and how hard or they to change? I am planning to have my exhaust redone and want to get this fixed before.

Thanks in advance!

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
im assuming your taliking about the donut gasket? its really not hard to change just make sure you spray the hell out of the manifold studs before trying to take off the nuts. the studs like to twist off.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There we go thank you!! For the life of me I could not remember what they were called. To replace those do I need to pull the manifolds or can I just unhook them from the y pipe?

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Just unbolt from the y-pipe. As said above, studs like to twist off without a lot of penetrating lubricant. If your keeping your stock manifolds i'd almost recommend picking up a new spring/bolt/nut hardware set to replace the originals.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just unbolt from the y-pipe. As said above, studs like to twist off without a lot of penetrating lubricant. If your keeping your stock manifolds i'd almost recommend picking up a new spring/bolt/nut hardware set to replace the originals.

Ohh ok I gotcha I thought you were talking about unbolting the manifolds thanks for the info that really helps

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Thats the plan but dont I still need the y or can they just run the duals from the manifolds? Because if they can then ill just stick a cheapo set of ebay headers on it then

No y-pipe on mine- the manifolds run down to my cats (seperate cats) and out the back on completely different lines with glasspacks.

And as far as headers go, I would either go long tubes or none at all. They melt wires and shorties don't really do much :imo: It's always a fun idea to toy with though.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Hmmm I may just go that rout I plan to order 2 thunderbolt cats in the next few weeks and have duals ran

Just be sure to get glasspacks or mufflers of some sort on there- mine was straight piped for about 3 minutes and it was WAY too loud. Our Burban was straight piped for a few weeks and that was super annoying- at highway speeds it just hurt your eardrums. Glasspacks have that good crackle and rumble sound.