exhaust manifolds to headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loom383

Reaction score
I am looking at replacing my exhaust manifolds on my 95 gmc k1500 with headers. I am wondering what style headers i would want(short, mid, or full length) and would they bolt up to my original exhaust? My drivers manifold needs to be replaced so i figured why not switch them over.

rjrider

Reaction score
The short style should be bolt in. Just make sure to use good hardware and gaskets.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
shorties should be a direct swap in fact many people have been very happy with the stainless ebay headers, only thing id recommend is picking up some better gaskets and bolts if you do go that route, most header gaskets that come with headers are crappy. longtubes will require exhaust modification possibly crossmember mods etc.

loom383

Reaction score
Thanks guys, One more question. Would I want the smog headers? or would I be fine with just normal shorty headers? thanks!

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thing is that the stock y pipe is the biggest restriction in the whole exhaust so you can spend money on headers and all that but still not gain anything if you are running it through the stock y pipe and cat and muffler.

You can just get vaccumm caps to cap the EGR and port on the TB, then no worries about the smog.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive done a few trucks with ebay SS headers with no issues just like said above spend the cash for better gaskets and hardware.

loom383

Reaction score
So would i be better off getting long tube headers for performance gain? and caping off my egr wouldn't effect emissions? If i went with the long tube headers what other exhaust work would need to be done? Thanks for all your guys help so far!

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So would i be better off getting long tube headers for performance gain? and caping off my egr wouldn't effect emissions? If i went with the long tube headers what other exhaust work would need to be done? Thanks for all your guys help so far!

I am saying that if you are going to go to the trouble of all new headers then atleast do a custom mandrel bent y pipe to fit with the rest of your exhaust and if yo have the factory cat then get a new high flow from Magnaflow or Thunderbolt, the headers will gain you nothing if everything behind it is all OEM

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Ok, first of all, where do you live? I wouldn't recommend taking off any smog equipment if you live in a state that does emissions testing.

That being said, it just depends on what you want to do. I've heard that shorties provide more low-end torque and that long-tubes provide more top-end horsepower.

I'm going with some summit brand ceramic coated shorties. I'm pretty sure my truck has a Flowmaster Y-Pipe (exhaust was done by previous owner, I haven't looked at that yet). Even if it doesn't, since I live in CA, going with shorties is much easier for smog reasons than hassling with LT's. But that's just me.