Exhaust Route

• True Duals 2.5 piping

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • SIDO 2.5 piping

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • SISO 2.5 piping

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title states guys, need some help building my exhaust on my 98 ESC 4x4 5.7... Had a few ideas and a Poll tell me what you guys think or what the best route should be. Goal is power and torque. Sound would also be beneficial... I plan to do LT's during this swap and keep the stock cats.

Forgot to add either X pipe or H pipe options to the poll:hmm:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Best thing to do is not use any stock components.

A lot depends on your budget.

Ultimate exhaust :imo: would be LT headers, High flow cats (If you're required to have them) 2.5" tubing, X or H pipe in the middle, mufflers of your choice, and exhaust tips/exit of your choice.

I know a lot of guys will hate on me for this, but "true" duals are junk. You want a crossover somewhere for the scavenging effect.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best thing to do is not use any stock components.

A lot depends on your budget.

Ultimate exhaust :imo: would be LT headers, High flow cats (If you're required to have them) 2.5" tubing, X or H pipe in the middle, mufflers of your choice, and exhaust tips/exit of your choice

I know a lot of guys will hate on me for this, but "true" duals are junk. You want a crossover somewhere for the scavenging effect.

I agree, I plan to either put a xpipe or a h pipe to combat the loss of the lowend, question is which one is better... they both have there benefits aslo from what I have been reading, the stock vortec cats supposedly flow pretty good for stock?

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I don't think it's really going to make a difference too much if you go with an H or an X.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
How do you plan to use the stock cats with longtubes? you'll have to relocate them which is going to greatly diminish their effectiveness anyway...

If you're going with a single exhaust (I'm running a Y pipe on my swap) I strongly suggest you go bigger than 2.5". I went a little whacky myself and am going to a 3.5", but really, 3" would be better.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you plan to use the stock cats with longtubes? you'll have to relocate them which is going to greatly diminish their effectiveness anyway...

If you're going with a single exhaust (I'm running a Y pipe on my swap) I strongly suggest you go bigger than 2.5". I went a little whacky myself and am going to a 3.5", but really, 3" would be better.

I seen those thuderbolt cats the other night and I may go that route since they are cheap and hi-flow. Didnt think about the relocating... are you running a siso or sido system?

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I seen those thuderbolt cats the other night and I may go that route since they are cheap and hi-flow. Didnt think about the relocating... are you running a siso or sido system?

after the swap it'll be SISO.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Have been thinking about duals off the manifolds, scrapping that idea. Going to keep manifolds for now, stock y-pipe, 3" piping, muffler of choice, 90'd behind rear tire with a tip.

Would prefer headers, performance y-pipe or x/h then do duals. Flowmaster 40s or something similar. Think i'd probably stick with 3" pipe no matter what, and 3.5"x18 tips or so

Exhaust work ..always a pipe dream

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Here's my setup:

* Manifolds STOCK
* Cat's MAGNAFLOW 2.5" (x2)
* MAGNAFLOW Y-pipe (2.5" in 3" out)
* FLOWMASTER (SI/SO 3"OD) MUFFLER
* 3" Piping (Dumps in factory location)

I posted a video (see my build thread in Sig.) and I'll be adding more soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

I can tell you that it is by far the best sounding combo I've heard.

Then again.... Just replacing this bigassmofo does wonders

-Truckin-

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my setup:

* Manifolds STOCK
* Cat's MAGNAFLOW 2.5" (x2)
* MAGNAFLOW Y-pipe (2.5" in 3" out)
* FLOWMASTER (SI/SO 3"OD) MUFFLER
* 3" Piping (Dumps in factory location)

I posted a video (see my build thread in Sig.) and I'll be adding more soon.

I can tell you that it is by far the best sounding combo I've heard.

Then again.... Just replacing this bigassmofo does wonders

-Truckin-

Nice Setup thanks for the pics