EP381 Amperage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plugged it into the stock TBI fuel pump harness and haven't had any problems.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7-ish amperes.

I use an oscilloscope with a low-amperage probe to verify fuel pump power before replacing a suspected-bad pump. Using a 'scope, I can check the amperage draw of each individual armature bar on the pump motor. Once I determine how many armature bars the motor has, I can also calculate the RPM of the motor.

GM tends to use under-sized wire to power the pump. Common to have 2--3 volts of voltage drop between the supply-side wiring and the ground-side wiring, combined. So the pump often runs on 11--12 volts when the alternator is charging at 14+ volts.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
7-ish amperes.

I use an oscilloscope with a low-amperage probe to verify fuel pump power before replacing a suspected-bad pump. Using a 'scope, I can check the amperage draw of each individual armature bar on the pump motor. Once I determine how many armature bars the motor has, I can also calculate the RPM of the motor.

GM tends to use under-sized wire to power the pump. Common to have 2--3 volts of voltage drop between the supply-side wiring and the ground-side wiring, combined. So the pump often runs on 11--12 volts when the alternator is charging at 14+ volts.
Which is why I have had a Racetronix Hotwire, matching bulkhead connector and matching in-tank harness on my Van for going on 10 years. The 10 ga power feed wire connects directly to the alternator output stud and it also has a 10ga ground connection. The stock pump gets full voltage. I also added a remote sense wire to the regulator and tied it to the underhood fusebox input. I have full voltage at the fuse box with everything on. Might be a little high at the battery but since my van is not driven daily does not seem to hurt anything.

94onthefloor

Reaction score
7-ish amperes.

I'm trying to find out if the amperage is low enough to splice into the Terminator X Max fuel pump sending wire

94onthefloor

Reaction score
Which is why I have had a Racetronix Hotwire, matching bulkhead connector and matching in-tank harness on my Van for going on 10 years. The 10 ga power feed wire connects directly to the alternator output stud and it also has a 10ga ground connection. The stock pump gets full voltage. I also added a remote sense wire to the regulator and tied it to the underhood fusebox input. I have full voltage at the fuse box with everything on. Might be a little high at the battery but since my van is not driven daily does not seem to hurt anything.
I'm trying to find out if the amperage is low enough to splice into the Terminator X Max fuel pump sending wire