does this fuel pump sound like its going out? 1997 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hi54lofi

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My truck has been shutting off when in park idling, or coming to a stop. I am guessing its the fuel pump. Is it supposed to sound like this? I ordered a new one and I am hoping the pump is the culprit, and not something unknown. Thanks for anyones opinions or advice on this!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Let's start with the basics. First of all, what is the fuel pressure reading? Have gauge attached and with a long hose, you can tape to w/s and watch the pressure and see what it does. I did not hear anything that points to a fuel pump, over the engine noise. How does it die? Like a light switch shut off? Like it is bucking and choking and then die? What do the plugs, wires, cap and rotor look like and their age? Any recent work before the problem started? Any CEL?

hi54lofi

Reaction score
no check engine light. it just turns off as if i shut the key off. new cap and rotor. new plugs. yes new coil before it started

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Typically, a fuel pump failure does not shut off like a switch. It will cough and jerk a bit before shut down. Still need to see what the pressure does when this happens.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Typically, a fuel pump failure does not shut off like a switch. It will cough and jerk a bit before shut down. Still need to see what the pressure does when this happens.
I'd agree with you on this except for OP has a Vortec 5.7. Once the pressure gets marginally low they don't even like to start. Usually though once they start they will stay running, so I wonder if possibly the pump is in fact going bad and drawing so much current it's causing an issue at the fuel pump relay - which is a bit of a sore spot on the Vortec trucks.

OP, check your fuel pump relay under the hood and see if there's any signs of burnt pins or melted plastic around them, or on the fuse block itself.

My old '98 7.4 was burning up the fuel pump relay, and it would run fine until it had been driven a while then would begin stumbling with a low idle very close to stalling, but wouldn't stall. However the 7.4's use actual injectors instead of poppet valves like the small blocks; the Vortec 7.4 will still start and run on very low pressure (I had one that would still start at 30psi) just not run well.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd agree with you on this except for OP has a Vortec 5.7. Once the pressure gets marginally low they don't even like to start. Usually though once they start they will stay running, so I wonder if possibly the pump is in fact going bad and drawing so much current it's causing an issue at the fuel pump relay - which is a bit of a sore spot on the Vortec trucks.

OP, check your fuel pump relay under the hood and see if there's any signs of burnt pins or melted plastic around them, or on the fuse block itself.

My old '98 7.4 was burning up the fuel pump relay, and it would run fine until it had been driven a while then would begin stumbling with a low idle very close to stalling, but wouldn't stall. However the 7.4's use actual injectors instead of poppet valves like the small blocks; the Vortec 7.4 will still start and run on very low pressure (I had one that would still start at 30psi) just not run well.

Richard
Hence the word "typically".