engine troubles. need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandman

Reaction score
The other day i was driving to hockey and all of the sudden my truck started running really rough (on and off), i puilled over and put it in N and slowly brought up the RPM and it seemed fine but everytime i would start to drive it would start acting up again and i had very little power when i stepped on the gas, limped it home and shut er down. Next day I went to start it and it wouldnt start. Just try and try but never catch. Its not the fuel pump bc i just had that replaced and checked it and everything was working fine. I left it for the day and tried again the next day and it started fine, it ran fine and didnt have any problems when i reved it (didnt have time to take it for a spin). My thought is it may be the ignition module but im not sure. so my question is has anyone else had this problem or does anybdy know what it may be (if you are able to tell from my description lol). any help would be great. Btw it is a 97 gmc 1500 with the 5.7L V8.

Thanks,
James

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem that I had with my truck. Ran fine with no load, but a soon as it was required to make power, it would shudder, run rough, &/or stall. Started intermittently, became progressively worse. You should always replace the in-line fuel filter when you change your pump. Cheap insurance. It's on the frame rail. Also, always keep your fuel above 1/4-3/8 full. G.M., in their infinite wisdom, designed the fuel pump to be cooled & lubricated by the fuel. This also keeps the pump from picking up any debris in the bottom of the tank. I may be wrong, but from your description, I'd try that first. (Must have been designed by an ex-Ford engineer. An electric pump inside an explosive fluid! WTF?)

Sandman

Reaction score
The filter was changed with the pump. i drove around today, doing everything, speeding, accelerating hard and slow, etc. It ran fine (did feel slightly slugish tho) so Im thinking it has something to do with the distributor, ignition module, wires, injectors, etc.