Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your machine shop will handle that.

I was looking at the Haynes manual the other day and it had tolerance information for bore diameter, out-of-round spec., and other information related to inspecting/overhauling an engine. It does require some specialized precision measuring devices, but you can pick these up for probably around $100.

If you could figure out how to do this and determine what really needs machining, if any at all, you will be way ahead in costs.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where can I get that done around Louisiana?
Any of the automotive machine shops should do it. Met's in Lafayette does good work. Northside engine in Lafayette, should do it too, but I would choose Met's over Northside engine. There are several places in Lafayette. I have done business with both Northside engine, and Met's. We have a member of our local car Cruse club who had his 1980, 5.7L Corvette engine done by Met's. They did a nice job. Aluminum head, and cam swap. Perked up that old L82 350 real nice. IDK what it cost him, but He has a nice classic Vette.

Last edited:

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any of the automotive machine shops should do it. Met's in Lafayette does good work. Northside engine in Lafayette, should do it too, but I would choose Met's over Northside engine. There are several places in Lafayette. I have done business with both Northside engine, and Met's. We have a member of our local car Cruse club who had his 1980, 5.7L Corvette engine done by Met's. They did a nice job. Aluminum head, and cam swap. Perked up that old L82 350 real nice. IDK what it cost him, but He has a nice classic Vette.
Yeah I’m trying to avoid shop costs and all that headache. That’s why I’d like to order a new motor in that I can slap in a better cam and some long tubes

Devon 11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s how much it cost for me to do a 383 so subtract 340 and than probably another 140 for the bore. It’s not nearly expensive vs getting a new block. Granted this shops prices are no guarantee for anything but I feel it’s probably a good ballpark.

Attachments

• 86B03F57-4240-41D7-9EC5-C2F2239F0252.jpeg
    86B03F57-4240-41D7-9EC5-C2F2239F0252.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 13DAD670-F086-42B9-A375-00EFD6AE5765.jpeg
    13DAD670-F086-42B9-A375-00EFD6AE5765.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 28

Devon 11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just type in automotive machine shops near me to find one and research their reviews. I live in the middle of nowhere and have at least three machine shops around me within 30 min drive. Another reason I would consider a machine shop is they will have some more insight into helping you build what you want. Common problems you might want to address and the such. Mine talked me out splaying my caps saving me money and costing him in a sense.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I’m trying to avoid shop costs and all that headache. That’s why I’d like to order a new motor in that I can slap in a better cam and some long tubes
Sometimes that's the best out. It's by far the fastest way. Unless your doing most of the work yourself, the price difference in a crate engine, isn't that different than having it done for you. Now if you tare down the block yourself and do most of the work yourself, that's a different story.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes that's the best out. It's by far the fastest way. Unless your doing most of the work yourself, the price difference in a crate engine, isn't that different than having it done for you. Now if you tare down the block yourself and do most of the work yourself, that's a different story.
Yeah I’m trying not to have to tear down the block myself. I don’t think I know enough yet to take on that job. So if I can order a new motor and throw it in myself, for the same price as having a shop tear down my motor and rebuild it I’m gunna do it myself ya know. And then have a new motor and parts and still have the old motor that I can eventually get rebuilt and throw it in a different truck or keep it for spare.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I’m trying not to have to tear down the block myself. I don’t think I know enough yet to take on that job. So if I can order a new motor and throw it in myself, for the same price as having a shop tear down my motor and rebuild it I’m gunna do it myself ya know. And then have a new motor and parts and still have the old motor that I can eventually get rebuilt and throw it in a different truck or keep it for spare.
Yea, I have called some automotive machine shops, myself to compare redoing my engine, and they are all in agreement that a crate engine is the way to go, unless you do the work yourself. I do work at a machine shop, but we do not do automotive work. I did rebuild my rear end here at work, and got a lot of help with it from my coworkers. Even the owner helped me do the tare down, but its just not the kind of work we do.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, I have called some automotive machine shops, myself to compare redoing my engine, and they are all in agreement that a crate engine is the way to go, unless you do the work yourself. I do work at a machine shop, but we do not do automotive work. I did rebuild my rear end here at work, and got a lot of help with it from my coworkers. Even the owner helped me do the tare down, but its just not the kind of work we do.
Yeah I gotcha. I’m just struggling to find which crate engine will be simplest for me to put in myself AND give me the extra hp I want