Engine Painting/ How To Remove This...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

After getting my engine de-greased, I have decided I need to get some paint work done. Ideally (ha-ha-ha-ha) I'd like it to look like it does in my brochure.

At a minimum, I want to paint my intake, valve covers, and exhaust manifolds. I'll clean up the front of the engine as best I can, and paint (or sand the rust off) what needs it.

I'm thinking of using that VHT paint, they make some specifically for exhaust manifolds that can withstand 1300-2000* heat with no problems. The rest I would use VHT Engine Enamel, except for the breather, I'd need gloss black engine paint for that.

What would be good to use to degrease/strip the original paint off everything? I'm thinking GOO GONE or Purple Power for the degreasing, and Kleen-Strip Paint Stripper for the paint?

Those of you who that have done this before, any advice/recommendations? I know I could just buy chrome stuff to replace the original parts, but I want to keep the original look, and even though black parts are available, I don't know what the quality would be.

How do I remove the breather hose out of the valve covers? It comes off the TB easily enough, but I can't figure out how to remove it from the valve cover. Last time I tried to remove it (on my old GMC) it broke in 3 places, and it was still stuck in the valve cover.

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see, the engine needs a little help. :uhoh2:

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
It just pulls out of the valve cover. Just twist back and forth while pulling straight up and it should come out...

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
personally... i like POR Marine Clean. i bought a gallon to clean my frame when i POR'd it. i had a lot left over and i spray it full strength on greasey stuff i want to clean. (but if you do this... cover any painted items you don't want stripped, it WILL eat paint at full strength)

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/ItemDetailKit.aspx?ItemNo=POR MRQ

they offer free shipping if you order through their eBay store

EDIT: might invest in some of their Metal Ready too... it kills/converts rust leaving a paint-ready surface.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do not use paint stripper on an assembled engine, it will eat up the gasket's and will leak, I like a deagreaser like simple green or purple power and I also like Duplicolor engine enamel for all the engine, and I would use the VHT on the exahuast manifold's, I have also had good luck with Rustoleum Barbecue black, it's made for grilles but it will withstand very high temp's and hold's up well. Also like already mentioned the crankcase breather tube should pull straight up and out.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I`ve used `Fastorange`(not Josh, the company!) Engine degreaser before. Works pretty good on all but the heavy caked on grease. Try to scrape most of that off first. Comes in an aerosol can. Spray it on a warm engine, let it sit for a bit, then hose off. What I usually do is spray it on at home, drive the 8 blocks or so to the car wand wash & pressure wash it off. It`s paint safe. Two cans will do the engine, the engine bay & under the hood, with some left over to do any detailing that the first go round didn`t get.
It`s citrus based, so it`s `environmentally correct`.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
I`ve used `Fastorange`(not Josh, the company!) Engine degreaser before. Works pretty good on all but the heavy caked on grease. Try to scrape most of that off first. Comes in an aerosol can. Spray it on a warm engine, let it sit for a bit, then hose off. What I usually do is spray it on at home, drive the 8 blocks or so to the car wand wash & pressure wash it off. It`s paint safe. Two cans will do the engine, the engine bay & under the hood, with some left over to do any detailing that the first go round didn`t get.
It`s citrus based, so it`s `environmentally correct`.

thanks for that info Al.. i'll look into it for my next under-hood cleaning

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No probs. Your welcome. Just make sure to wear some rain gear, & at least safety goggles when hosing off the engine with higher pressure water. Go very easy around the distributer & electrical connection stuff, too. Not hard to get water forced in there with the wand.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The breather line just pull right out. It should anyways. And for remover/paint I would use all of the POR 15 stuff. They make great stuff. They also have a manifold paint that I've heard lasts.