Engine paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What all needs engine paint and what can I just use regular old spray paint on? As I’m building a new motor anyways I may as well shoot a coat if the good ceramic engine paint on it. I know block and heads need engine paint but what about oil pan, front cover, balancer, accessory drive, and water pump?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure they are all super clean, grease/oil free, mask off any parts don't want painted, then paint with whatever color you want.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean the block good and tape off all the ports and bolt holes. Spray a good etching primer on the bare metal. Then shoot it with either 'engine paint', or regular body paint. You don't even need special 'high-temp' paint. On some of my older engines I just cleaned them and used VHT engine paint. It doesn't look terrible, but doing it right would have lasted longer and looked better.

Of course, with WCJr I just left the block how it looked after I wire brushed it clean. I'm going a bit incognito with it, so the old, dusty and rusty look is fine. The headers are obvious, but everything else is a bit stealthy.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im gonna have the block and heads batted at the machine shop so only prep they should need is a good wipe down with brake cleaner.