Engine knock (newbie)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't tell for sure by the video but it does sound a lot like a cracked flywheel in the first video and either a seized bearing or the fan just scraping the shroud in the 2nd video, as mentioned by "Texas tough" take off the serp belt to find out if that eliminates any of the noise. If it continues try to pin point the area it is coming from, a stethoscope or even a long skinny funnel will help, if it's coming from the valve cover area pop them off and check for bent or loose pushrods (could just need a lash adjustment), if it's coming from the front it could be a loose timing chain flopping around or (unlikely) a timing gear is walking off which could be that scraping sound in the 2nd video, if it's low and towards the back it'll probably be a cracked flywheel and to check you'll need take off the inspection cover and use a mirror and light to see if theres any cracks around the bolts(usually crack around the crank bolts which you may not be able to see) if you don't see any cracks try and run it and listen with the cover off to see if it is certainly coming from that area. If it is you'll have to slide the trans back (remember to unbolt the torque converter) to get a better look at the flywheel for cracks. Now this is all assuming your oil wasn't a glitter factory.

Kyle H

Reaction score
So my oil pan drain bolt was covered in microbes of metal. And I did end up taking the belt off mr. Clayton recommended that first thing to eliminate timing issue. And flywheel is solid. I will need to check under valve cover. Did the whole breaker bar to the ear bit aswell but cant seem to pinpoint the noise. Other than my ear says it is definitely lower motor.

paul w scott

Reaction score
Pull the belt off and see if there's any change. I've had bad water pumps fool you. The knock traveled through the center of everything . Flipped me out because it sounded like it was in the bell housing

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull the oil pan and see if the bearing caps are loose.. u may not have sustained catastrophic damage yet.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had 2 Vortecs in the last 18 months make this noise. The squeaky knock with and occasional clap of the piston hitting the head. I drove them off the trailer and tested all the vehicle systems before yanking the motors out and rebuilding. I recommend changing the radiator with the engine because the oil cooler can collect a lot of metal debris from the bad motor.