engine hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another vote for the Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh) two ton. I've only used mine once so far but it lifted an LQ4 up high enough to load into my red truck over the bed side. Seems sturdy and the castors roll nicely. Here's a link to it, mine's gray but apparently the new ones are red.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-58755.html

Had to do a double take on that price, they've gone up significantly. IIRC when I bought mine a few years ago it was closer to $200. Keep an eye out for coupons, when I bought mine I used one for 20% off any one item and that knocked it down significantly.

I also got one of their two ton load levelers, which is handy and seems decent for the price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-load-leveler-60659.html

Someone (maybe @skylark?) told me that Harbor Freight also sells an air over hydraulic cylinder to replace the one with the hand pump that comes on their hoists. I just did some Googling and I can't seem to find it now though...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Recently I used an old one, but still a cheap import. I liked that all the wheels extended out, giving a really big base. I had never pulled an engine, so for my first I pulled a big block with th400 attached.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d probably go with the red 1 Ton.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the 2-ton. For $100 more, you can lift a dressed engine at the furthest extension. That 1-ton will struggle to lift 500 lbs at its furthest extension. You'll want that overhead, especially if you ever wind up with a big block in your shop.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the HF 2 ton and load leveler, it worked for me. You can pull the engine, trans, and transfer case out all at the same time if you have a second person to hang on the back for ballast.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the $239 2 ton hoist i found is USA pro tool brand, never heard of it, its definitely chinesium