Engine Block Coolant Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It'll be same threads as a knock sensor, which is 1/4-18, and according to a couple different sites that GM plug's part number is 1/4 NPT and 1/4 NPT is 18 threads per inch. So there ya go.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll be same threads as a knock sensor, which is 1/4-18, and according to a couple different sites that GM plug's part number is 1/4 NPT and 1/4 NPT is 18 threads per inch.
WHICH knock sensor?

The SBC knock sensors go into the block-drain holes, which are both tapped the same--1/4 pipe thread.

V6 knock sensor goes somewhere else. 7.4L Vortec knock sensors go into blind holes that I think are straight-thread, not pipe thread. (I've never had my 7.4L knock sensors out.) The big blocks keep the block drain plugs in place on both sides. They have separate bosses for the knock sensors.

Photos of my '97 K2500 7.4L draincocks instead of plugs, right next to the knock sensors.

Right side, camera angle is goofy. The block draincock is horizontal, not angled "up".
You must be registered for see images attach

Left side. No 45 degree street elbow needed.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
use a brass plug, its what they do in marine engines. as far as galvanic corrosion I would not be worried about brass and cast iron. the brass wont seize in the block and if you strip it its easily drilled and chiseled away. now aluminum and steel or aluminum and stainless steel is where you'll see the most problems...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
WHICH knock sensor?

The SBC knock sensors go into the block-drain holes, which are both tapped the same--1/4 pipe thread.

V6 knock sensor goes somewhere else. 7.4L Vortec knock sensors go into blind holes that I think are straight-thread, not pipe thread. (I've never had my 7.4L knock sensors out.) The big blocks keep the block drain plugs in place on both sides. They have separate bosses for the knock sensors.

Photos of my '97 K2500 7.4L draincocks instead of plugs, right next to the knock sensors.

Right side, camera angle is goofy. The block draincock is horizontal, not angled "up".

Left side. No 45 degree street elbow needed.
OP specified 5.7 Vortec, so I was responding re: SBC's

Pretty sure the Vortec 7.4 knock sensors are pipe thread, also. It's been a few years.

I have no idea what V6's use. :)

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP specified 5.7 Vortec, so I was responding re: SBC's

Pretty sure the Vortec 7.4 knock sensors are pipe thread, also. It's been a few years.

I have no idea what V6's use. :)

Richard
Yes, 5.7 Vortec.
use a brass plug
I’m sure brass is fine, but I ordered the GM part. Coolant will be maintained on truck, so plug being rust welded in won’t be a problem.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully this might be helpful as to what everyone is looking for 1/4NPTF X 18TPI with 9/16 Hex head

FREE SHIPPING to 45 states on orders over $149!

Search

Customer Service: 615-604-5115
  • Solid Brass Pipe Plugs (MPT)

Fittings & Couplers

Solid Brass Pipe Plugs (MPT)​

No reviews yetWrite a Review

$1.19

Pipe Thread Size: 1/4" NPTF X 18TPI x 9/16 hex head
Quantity:

in stock

SOLID HEX HEAD PIPE PLUGS​

Brass Pipe Fittings

Industrial quality solid brass pipe thread plugs. Durable brass construction makes these plugs excellent for use with both solvent-based and water-based products.
Four pipe thread sizes available: 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"
* NOT FOR USE WITH ACIDS!

Essentials​

• 1200 psi Working Pressure
  • Premium Brass Construction
  • Hex Heads
  • Male NPTF Threads
1/8" NPTF plugs have a 7/16" hex head.
1/4" NPTF plugs have a 9/16" hex head.
3/8" NPTF plugs have a 11/16 hex head
1/2" NPTF plugs have a 7/8" hex head.

WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals, including lead, which are known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information visit. www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

Got Questions?​

Check out the "Help Center", send us an email or just give us a call and we'll be glad to help you with your order!
Brand:
Fittings & Couplers
VOC Compliance:
LADCO (IL,IN,OH)
VOC Compliance:
OTC-Phase-1 (DC,MA,ME,NH,NJ,PA,VA)
VOC Compliance:
OTC-Phase-2 (CT,DE,MD,NY,RI)
VOC Compliance:
Colorado
VOC Compliance:
NW Utah
VOC Compliance:
Maricopa AZ
VOC Compliance:
CARB-2002
VOC Compliance:
CARB-2007
VOC Compliance:
CARB-2020
VOC Compliance:
SCAQMD

Contact Us​

Southern Stain and Seal, LLC
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Monday - Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Email: [email protected]
Office: (615) 604-5115

Subscribe to our newsletter​

Get the latest updates on new products and upcoming sales
Email Address

Follow Us​

© Copyright 2007-2023 - Southern Stain and Seal, LLC - All Rights Reserved.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd wager that actual metal to metal contact is minimal with proper application of thread sealant and that any reasonable plug will do the job. The cheapest 'low pressure' pipe plugs at McMaster Carr are rated to 150psi, way more than the coolant system will ever see.
The block sees around ~100 psi under the head gaskets at WOT. That came directly from a former GM powertrain engineer. The high pressure needed to prevent hot spots and localized boiling and thus possible cracking are good reasons to avoid electric pumps on street driven vehicles.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really was just trying to confirm the correct GM part, and it is. Good information for those who want a brass plug though.
…shut the light off when your done.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The block sees around ~100 psi under the head gaskets at WOT. That came directly from a former GM powertrain engineer. The high pressure needed to prevent hot spots and localized boiling and thus possible cracking are good reasons to avoid electric pumps on street driven vehicles.
God bless you. I've been trying to pin down a number on the PSI, and have had problems getting accurate info. Was considering chucking a pressure gauge into one of the pipe-thread bosses on the intake manifold to take a reading myself. You're probably right about the head gasket being something of a restriction, so that the block sees more pressure than the head. Hard to say how much the gasket restricts flow--and therefore pressure.

Not so much a matter of throttle position, but of pump RPM. The water pump is a centrifugal unit, so up to the point where it stalls/cavitates, more RPM means more pressure.

This is also why the heater core has a restriction somewhere in the inlet plumbing--the core doesn't like ~100 psi.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cooling system should be running about 10-20 psi when hot. The factory radiator cap relieves at 16 psi. Even considering fluid dynamics, 100 psi under the heads sounds like a tall tale to me.