Eng 1 fuse blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97moneypit

Reaction score
97 gmc k1500 5.7. Eng 1 fuse is shorted

I am going crazy. Disconnected all sensors on eng. Disconnected all 02 sensors. Disconnected all ecm connects. Injectors disconne

I'm getting short to ground on eng 1 fuse. I have wiggled the harness all the way to the trans and back still no luck.

Is it possible to have a short in the fuse box? Is there any way to take it apart ?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 gmc k1500 5.7. Eng 1 fuse is shorted

I am going crazy. Disconnected all sensors on eng. Disconnected all 02 sensors. Disconnected all ecm connects. Injectors disconne

I'm getting short to ground on eng 1 fuse. I have wiggled the harness all the way to the trans and back still no luck.

Is it possible to have a short in the fuse box? Is there any way to take it apart ?
Ignition control module and coil disconnected?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See attached .pdf for a "fused circuits" wiring diagram from the 1998 GM service manual, it will help. Many other devices / items are fed from ENG1 that you didn't mention.

I've included a note on pg.1.

Attachments

• GMT400 - 12V power distribution.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

97moneypit

Reaction score
See attached .pdf for a "fused circuits" wiring diagram from the 1998 GM service manual, it will help. Many other devices / items are fed from ENG1 that you didn't mention.

I've included a note on pg.1.
Page 19 i am pretty sure thats for diesels

According to page 15.
Evap canister vent
Evap emissions canister purge
Maf
Cam sensor
All o2 sensors

I have all these disconnected

I'm thinking about just running an over lay harness...

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuse box can be taken apart in the sense that the back side of where the relays and fuses plug in can be accessed. From memory, one nut or bolt and then just clips to raise it out of its nest. Maybe the nut/bolt doesn't need disturbing.

Page 19 i am pretty sure thats for diesels

According to page 15.
Evap canister vent
Evap emissions canister purge
Maf
Cam sensor
All o2 sensors

I have all these disconnected

I'm thinking about just running an over lay harness...
I think you can add EGR to that list.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was doing that a few months ago. I found a broken wire on an O2 sensor pigtail connector, had to inspect it real close it find it. It looked like it had not been secured properly and resulted from rubbing against the chassis. I found online somewhere how to test the maf plug for correct signal to it, but don’t remember where, seems there were a few YouTube’s on that. Good luck

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuse box can be taken apart in the sense that the back side of where the relays and fuses plug in can be accessed. From memory, one nut or bolt and then just clips to raise it out of its nest. Maybe the nut/bolt doesn't need disturbing.

I think you can add EGR to that list.
I think I posted how to disassemble the fuse box(at least on 97-99) -it's not obvious but doable-there are 4 slots-you need to put small screwdriver in them and pry inwards(towards fuses)-some fuses and relays gitta be removed to make room for screwdriver. Do one at the time and pull it upwards until you release all.

firestoness

Reaction score
Passenger exhaust manifold. Just below the alternator. Wiring harness falls off of clip and melts on manifold

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was doing that a few months ago. I found a broken wire on an O2 sensor pigtail connector, had to inspect it real close it find it. It looked like it had not been secured properly and resulted from rubbing against the chassis. I found online somewhere how to test the maf plug for correct signal to it, but don’t remember where, seems there were a few YouTube’s on that. Good luck
MAF sensor is easy. Black/white is ground (middle terminal) and the pink should be 12V live with ignition on.
I think I posted how to disassemble the fuse box(at least on 97-99) -it's not obvious but doable-there are 4 slots-you need to put small screwdriver in them and pry inwards(towards fuses)-some fuses and relays gitta be removed to make room for screwdriver. Do one at the time and pull it upwards until you release all.
From memory, the trickiest part is the fight the actual harness part puts up where it enters the box.

OP: EGR is on the Eng 1 fuse circuit.