elocker question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive got an elocker from eaton here i bought for cheaper cause its out of an h2 hummer i believe but im told it works fine in a z71 14 bolt 9.5 got the 4.88s and a yukon install also.. one problem..

my locker didnt come with the bracket that retains the magneto ring while the carrier spins.. i think there are two kinds of these brackets.. my magneto ring has one tab on it and i have one carrier bearing cap thats got a threaded hole tapped into it anyone know anything about this?

i went to gm and ordered a 13 dollar part and 1.50 bolt that was all the guy could come up with for me.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you look at the larger picture in this link there is a bracket laying there, i need that bracket and when i find where to get them im going to buy 5 hopefully this is what the guy at the dealership has ordered me cause im a bit worried.. live and learn

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is why I always say that when you try to save money you end up spending more. (Especially since your time = money)

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
100% agreed, however i did score my yukon master install for $50.00

looks like to get the bracket im after ive got to buy the stator/armature service

kit,

wes761

Reaction score
I just broke exactly what you're in need of. I snapped the "retaining bracket", which spun the stator, sheering the wires off flush. Let me know what you come up with, I got the same bad news from eaton today when I called looking for the parts. The local GM dealer will be getting a call tomorrow.

My axle is a SF 14 bolt from a 2004 H2 w/factory elocker.... swapped under a tahoe.

Attachments

• 0920102032.jpg
    0920102032.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tell you what buddy this is what ive come to understand about this situation..

the only difference in the h2 14 bolt 9.5 sf, and the ones from obs trucks is two things..

a. obs 14 bolt sf never had an elocker factory
and
b. h2 retaining brackets are different than what you would get from eaton if you ordered
an elocker for a 14 bolt sf in a osb truck..

take a look in the picture ive got in that link its summits enlarged photo of the elocker for obs trucks..
that bracket bolts on top of the bearing caps and retains the magneto..

looks to me like the h2 retaining clip bolts in the middle of the bearing cap..

one thing im not sure of and you can help me with is whether or not the h2 14 bolt sf, has a bolt in the middle of both bearing caps..
my 14 bolt that i got from a 96 z71 at the yard to replace my ten bolt, has one bearing cap with a bolt in the middle and im pretty sure its for the other side..
when i say bolt in the middle of a bearing cap im talking about the one youve got painted blue..

now i do have this retainer on order and the bolt that goes with it.. its 13.50 and 1.50 for the bolt..
i get off work friday morning and im headed to the dealership to pick it up, i wil give you the part number when i get home..

the guy at the dealership wasnt much help but he gave me a schematic of the 03+ h2 rear end and the only part that seemed to me like i could use
was identical to what you have sheared off..

i have read that without that clip that im looking at getting from eaton, and to use the clip like what youve broken instead, i will have to order it from gm (done)
and have my bearing cap drilled and tapped.. which is cheaper than the 150 dollar kit that has the bracket i need and the magneto

the two brackets are different but the h2 bracket will work if you drill out the center of the other bearing cap?
unless you tell me that only one of your bearing caps has a hole in the middle for a bolt in which case im in buisness.
not to worry though that retainer that you broke im almost certain is what ive got coming and you can get it at a gm dealer < than $20

wes761

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Both of my bearing caps have center bolts. The passengers side center cap bolt holds down a similar looking bracket that holds a bearing preload ring in place (sorry, hard to explain).

I would be greatful for the GM P/N for the bracket. I will still need to find a new stator (wires too short for soldering). I need part 45 & 65 from the attached diagram.

I'm still worried that I will break the OEM retaining bracket again. The bracket in Eaton's aftermarket elocker kit looks much stronger. They offer a service kit for the retaining bracket & stator for $140 (for the aftermarket elocker). The big question is will that kit work on the OEM H2 elocker. I called up eaton and no luck.

Here's a link for the service kit: http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=232084&sku=29395-00S

Last edited:

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats what i thought, ive only got one bearing cap with a middle bolt that goes on the passenger side and it retains something else.. not sure what its called

i belive that the aftermarket style bracket will work with your setup also
not sure if it bolts just under the bolt heads on top of the bearing cap
or between the bearing cap and is mounting surface..
im 95 percent positive its the first idea

i would be willing to try the h2 style clip but id rather grab another bearing cap thats already got a hole in the middle (from an h2) for the drivers side of my 14 bolt

still mulling over the whole situation

the guy at the dealership told me part number 64 was unavaliable, which would be a quick problem solver for me..

by the way how did you break that retainer? if they are that weak than i would be better off with the aftermarket style?

need to think on this one

wes761

Reaction score
I broke it from rocking the truck (drive/reverse/drive) when stuck. It broke on my first adventure out and wasn't beating it either.

Do you have the carrier out still? If so, do you think the stator can be removed without pulling/pressing the carrier bearing. There is a snap ring that holds it in place.

I didn't have the time to pull my carrier out. Figure there's no point in grounding the truck when I don't have the parts to fix it yet. So I will tool around with an open diff. for a while.