Electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all,

Having some electrical problems on my 1995 chevy k2500 350 tbi w/ 5 spd trans. A couple weeks ago both the abs light and parking light began flashing on the dash, and at the same time the abs, 4x4, blower motor and windshield wipers stopped working. Occasionally while driving it will all start functioning again suddenly for a few minutes, then go back to not working. I'm not even sure where to start with this problem as those 4 systems don't seem like they would be connected... could this be a shared ground that's loose and intermittently making connection? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like time to bust out the manual and review wiring diagrams.
see if there's something in common.
Check the easy stuff first,

How's the battery cables and alternator, working as it should?

Reaction score
Battery cables and alternator are good, I checked them yesterday. Is there a good resource to access wiring diagrams? I'm not sure if I have the manual for the truck currently

I also just remembered that when the abs light and brake light are on and those 4 systems stop functioning, if I try to turn on the heater motor the light will dim or turn off, and if I turn on my blinkers the abs light flashes with the blinker

Last edited:

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the link i provided has the 95 shop manuals, best source for wiring diagrams imo.

Reaction score
Update: Checked all of the grounds and cleaned them all real good. Replaced two of the copper braided straps. Both the blower motor and windshield wipers make some noise now in certain settings, but neither of them actually operate. Still can't get 4x4 to engage. But overall, it seems like things changed a tiny bit for the better after cleaning and replacing grounds. I found that my negative battery terminal is stripped out, is there a way to repair that or do I need a new battery? I imagine that's the next step in the process. I probably should have started with that. Assuming I fix or replace the battery and the problem continues, what next steps should I take? Is it too much to assume that the four issues are related considering they all cropped up at the exact same time? Should I start looking at them as individual problems and chase each one down separately? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that my negative battery terminal is stripped out, is there a way to repair that or do I need a new battery? I imagine that's the next step in the process. I probably should have started with that. Assuming I fix or replace the battery and the problem continues, what next steps should I take? Is it too much to assume that the four issues are related considering they all cropped up at the exact same time? Should I start looking at them as individual problems and chase each one down separately? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

I would assume they are directly related. The things that aren't working are all high-current devices that are probably just not getting sufficient amps from the system to start up.

Seems like a good idea to fix that battery terminal issue. I would think you could tap that and use a larger bolt if you drilled out the hole in the cable slightly... that sounds sketchy but if you're not excited to pay for another battery (and I wouldn't be), give it a try. I don't generally hate side-post batteries the way some folks do, but in situations like this, they really are inferior.

Reaction score
mr_josh, I went ahead and bought a top post battery. Once again, it all seems to be just a little bit better. I even got the blower motor to run on low for about 15 seconds, but after that it just made a "buzzing" noise every time i turned the switch on hi. Still couldn't get the windshield wipers to move at all, but they made about the same noise when the ignition was in the accessory position and I turned the switch to the second highest speed.

Shurkey, engine cranks and runs just fine. The only systems that don't currently work are the 4x4, ABS, windshield wipers, and blower motor.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
mr_josh, I went ahead and bought a top post battery. Once again, it all seems to be just a little bit better. I even got the blower motor to run on low for about 15 seconds, but after that it just made a "buzzing" noise every time i turned the switch on hi. Still couldn't get the windshield wipers to move at all, but they made about the same noise when the ignition was in the accessory position and I turned the switch to the second highest speed.

Shurkey, engine cranks and runs just fine. The only systems that don't currently work are the 4x4, ABS, windshield wipers, and blower motor.
We're narrowing this down. I think it's either a ground (which I know you have looked at) or I would highly suspect the large gauge connection from the battery to the under-hood fuse box. Follow that all the way across the top of the radiator to the fuse panel and inspect the connection there.