Electrical Problems 1997 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calamus

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've got a bit of a dilly of a pickle.

I just got my 1997 K1500 back from the auto body shop where all the rust was cut out and replaced. Outer, inner rockers, cab corners, and they even ended up having to go 7-8" into the floorboards on each side. I don't have any complaints about the body work, but I have a new problem that I'm worried they may have created.

Suddenly the power driver's seat won't work properly. The body guy says he's ended up unplugging it to make sure it doesn't start a fire

My signal lights are also messed up. With the headlight switch off my left signal works, right signal turns both left and right on (like hazards are on). When the headlight switch is on, the left still works, but the right does nothing. Also, whether the headlight switch is on or off, the right signal indicator on the dash is permanently lit.

Finally, I bought the truck with an aftermarket car starter. Now the FOB doesn't work to lock or unlock the truck.

I haven't had much time to investigate, as I had to take it immediately for a wheel alignment, and supposed to be inspection to get it licensed in my area.

Anyone familiar with these glitches? Especially the signal light thing?

Is there wiring in the floorboards that he has melted/shorted/messed up somehow?

I'm not at all an electrical guy, so any help or insight on how to diagnose this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like an improper ground for the lights, a short circuit for the seats. I had a short on the motor for my drivers seat, replaced it with a used one from pick n pull and no problems since. The lights all have grounds on the subframe in the front and the frame in the back. The lights sound like they're back grounding which is to say they're not able to properly ground through the correct ground, so they're finding a different path of least resistance. Follow the black wires in the back first as there's only one there, pull the ground, indirect, clean, and replace if necessary. Resistance test it once complete from ground point on frame to harness in taillight. Should be easy under 1 ohm, or that's your problem. If the back checks out and process for marker lights and front turn signals until you find the issue.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Calamus

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, Raw.

Follow up question. Is there anything near or around the rockers, cab corners, and/ or drivers and passenger floorboards that could have been shorting during the body work?

I assume the wiring for the rear lights all run past the seating area?

Just seems strange that seemingly unrelated electrical systems (factory seat, factory signals, AM command start w/ door locks) all started to malfunction at the same time? Am I seeing patterns where there are none?

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score

Follow up question. Is there anything near or around the rockers, cab corners, and/ or drivers and passenger floorboards that could have been shorting during the body work?

Just seems strange that seemingly unrelated electrical systems (factory seat, factory signals, AM command start w/ door locks) all started to malfunction at the same time? Am I seeing patterns where there are none?

You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure if these will help but it’s for a 96.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I would think the same thing. I believe the lighting wire cluster is run through the frame IIRC, you might have an issue there, should be easy enough to test with a test light or continuity test on a multimeter.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Calamus

Reaction score
Hi folks, I thought I should update this. I feel like a maroon...

After copious testing, I simply decided to go get new marker and signal light bulbs for everything. Magically it was fixed, so I started to inspect the old bulbs closer. I don't know how I missed it, but the previous owner had placed a single filament bulb in the passenger from signal light...

amazing the difference the proper bulb makes.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have all had our turn on something like that. You didn't give up and you found it. As old as these trucks are getting to be, undoing something the PO (previous owner) did happens fairly often. Keep a soldering iron and heat shrink handy, you may find something else!

Welcome to the forum.