Electrical nightmare due to jumper cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the jumper cables were swapped on accident and you fried some/all the wiring, and now you have stuff melted together in the harness somewhere?

There should be no ark between negative cable and AC bracket.
That's what I was thinking. Isn't the only way to get an arc to have power? Ground to ground doesn't have power....

Reaction score
Perhaps the jumper cables were swapped on accident and you fried some/all the wiring, and now you have stuff melted together in the harness somewhere?

I wonder if the person that put the jumper cables on the recieving end put the polarity wrong.
I know i put my cables correctly on the truck that was jumping.

I guess i need to pull the harness and all the luming off to see if anything is melted together?

What if after the pulling the luming all the wires arnt melted. Now what? Lol my head hurts

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
yea, sounds like the other vehicle did it wrong, is that vehicle having any problems? Probably not since his battery was charged and alternator pushing full amps.

Marbo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
use a meter and with ignition off check everything that should be 12v as being 12v. with battery disconnected you may also wanna resistance check across fusible links and fuses etc. reminds me of when i installed a battery backwards in a continental lol

Reaction score
use a meter and with ignition off check everything that should be 12v as being 12v. with battery disconnected you may also wanna resistance check across fusible links and fuses etc. reminds me of when i installed a battery backwards in a continental lol
I ended up pulling the harness off. Ima take the luming off and check continuity across every cable. Idk how ima check the harnes that is still inside the cab

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Reminds me of the time my stupid self crossed the battery cables on my pontoon boat. It fried/melted many wires under the console.

Reaction score

I pulled off the engine harness and peeled back every piece of luming off. Nothing melted. After some research and the fact that some smaller grounds are getting super hot. It may be a ground fault but i cant figure out where in the wiring positive current would flow into a ground.
And for some reason my engine thermostat sensor (the one the the driver side between the manifolds), that wire was getting hot as well

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Did you look at the wires under the dash also? There could be a positive that melted to a ground somewhere?

Reaction score
Did you look at the wires under the dash also? There could be a positive that melted to a ground somewhere?
Ive been lookong under the dash. Matter fact i took the steering column out to see better but everything looks normal