Electric problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckR14

Reaction score
I have a drain. It’s .594ma just enough to drain my battery over a couple days time. I went through each fuse to eliminate component circuits. The one I pull that kills the drain is the 50 amp “Batt” fuse. I have a feeling it has something to do with my ignition switch because when the key is out of the ignition, I still have power going to some things like my fan and 4wd control And I think my radio. I was wondering if I am on the right path or if anyone had a better idea. I’ve put pile of work into this truck and just love it. 99 4door Tahoe 5.7

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not an electrical guy by any measure so what follows may be bass ackwards. Take it at your own risk.

I'd check the wiring schematics and see if everything that still has power, and shouldn't, share s common switched source and check circuits from there for faults.

TruckR14

Reaction score
Keys are all firmly affixed in the start and run position. To the best of my knowledge. I’ll check to see if there are any hokey things there and also look at the schematic. I don’t think the Haynes manual has a very good schematic but it may be enough. Thank you

TruckR14

Reaction score
So the key I used this morning was definitely able to come out of the ignition in multiple positions. This truck has like 10 diff keys that came with it. I found multiples of those magnetic boxes underneath the thing. I’ll check other keys later to confirm

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like either the lock cylinder is too worn and not staying in place or the switch itself (I assume in the steering column) is faulty. With the key off you shouldn't have voltage to the fan or radio.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checking that 50A circuit’s downstream fuses in the instrument panel block may help narrow it down. See which one stops the draw. Here’s the schematic for a 98, should be close enough for a 99.

You must be registered for see images attach

PDFs on most year manuals can be downloaded here: