electric fan questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One other note though, the above unit control's one fan at variable speed, and uses another relay to control the second fan which is fixed speed.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I like this unit, and it's fully programable and can run the fans at mutliple speed's instead of just fixed. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spal-Pulse-Width-Modulated-Fan-Controller,35700.html

Never seen that one before, I like it as well. A couple more features than the Jegs one and costs less. Also I like the speed controller. I've never personally used something like that but I can see the benefits. It will draw less power, should increase fan motor life and cut back on the RFI I normally get when I add the relays inside the cab. I might give it a shot on an upcoming project.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok guys thank you i like both units the variable speed sounds good.is there by any chance a bit cheaper one i know you get what you pay for but wow i was in the range of like 75 bucks for the wiring and relays i might be wrong the ones you both showed look fairly complete im new and learning

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that one looks decent derale seems to be a good brand from a few things ive read.but dont the fans need to kick on at about 195 to 200 like someone said earlier.im not doubting you im just trying to learn lol

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
that one looks decent derale seems to be a good brand from a few things ive read.but dont the fans need to kick on at about 195 to 200

No. You want a fan to come on before the engine is saturated(heat soaked). Generally 180 is the ideal place to start but most who add electric fans as an upgrade turn them on even before that. Turning a fan on after the engine is hot isn't what you want. Especially when the engine is designed to run at 195 and you don't turn the fans on until 210. Many adjustable kits don't even offer power on after 200*. You should get the best part that your budget allows and dial in the best temp for your setup using trial and error. If you turn it on at 180 and the engine never reaches the temp that your thermostat is supposed to open, turn the fans on later and vice versa. The thermostat is something that is very important and also very unreliable. I just went through 4 different thermostats before I got one that opened at the desired temp. The other 3 were opening before 170* and never letting my engine warm up(no heat, open loop). Something that many people overlook when buying the t-stats is the cooling system pressure. Our trucks have a very effective cooling system and they push the coolant with more force than many other vehicles. The thermostat uses a spring that, when at the desired temp, is supposed to open and allow coolant to flow. Our water pumps put out enough coolant pressure that the coolant alone can open the spring without the temp being very high.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok.ive got all 3 links saved to the kits givin.im going to see what the budget is on doing everything.i have a 160 thermostat but am going to change it over to a 180 and set the fans up to kick on at 180 so if im right ive got some lessons learned as a newby still more to learn but with the help of you guys im in good hands.im trying to spot a radiator right now.that is affordable and good brand but dont have 600 bucks to lay into one.im going to run a 2 row i know my truck stock has a 34'' wide but i measured my support and i can fit a 41'' could i do that? would it help? i can get it for the same price as the 34 figured it couldnt hurt? thnkas again guys for all the help