EGR delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have done it on past vehicles and have not noticed a difference in fuel economy either.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EGR and PCV both put crap back in the intake, so you'd have to remove both to keep it clean. I removed mine just because I went with a carb intake...otherwise I would have kept it.

But FWIW, I did the EGR delete on my Beretta when I put headers on and didnt see a difference in highway mileage. I still get 32.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
mine doesn't kill any fuel economy.

I'm basing my comment on a vehicle running properly beforehand.

FWIW, I can kill EGR function on the fly in my 5.7 and it will never cycle into highway mode, immediately increasing fuel consumption. Bear in mind if you live in a very hilly/mountainous area then you aren't seeing much if any time at conditions where the EGR system is actively being used in that manner. It effects the engine much more than you might think, especially on flat grade and light throttle load, at cruise.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well flat grade maybe so, round here nothing is flat so that could be.

I don't use it, don't like it, but pcv I use and use it all the time on everything.

being able to shift on the fly that's pretty cool.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Dang, I do some major interstate driving. I do not want to sacrifice fuel economy. Maybe I need to work more weekends and buy the Vortec specific headers?

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not necessary, you wont notice a difference..... You will still fill up the same intervals as if you had it on.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Dang, I do some major interstate driving. I do not want to sacrifice fuel economy. Maybe I need to work more weekends and buy the Vortec specific headers?

It won't matter enough to really worry unless you drive as much as I do. Worst case you'll probably lose 50 miles to a tank in summer. That's about the difference I saw with no highway mode in the tune. I go through 2-5 tanks of fuel per week, so it can add up.....

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
You could, but I don't see the point in doing it unless you're just plain bored. The single biggest thing the EGR system does is reduce pumping losses in the engine at cruise. Yes, it helps with emissions but that's secondary. It's only active under certain engine loads and throttle positions and can make a dramatic difference. Acquire datalogging software and you'll see what I mean by your MAP sensor readings.