EGR delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
not bad but they are just black apinted and will burn off and rust almost right away.

if your o2 doesn't mount in that hole then leave it alone IMO.

Yes, I know about the paint burning off. Unfortunately, I could not afford the extra $400 to get the ceramic coated versions. These will have to do for awhile. Who knows, an engine swap may be in store for this truck.

Edited.

I did more reading on the forums and spent some time crawling under the truck. I need to have that 02 sensor drilled out and installed, and I need to have an identical one welded to the other header to run with my Vortec. I simply will not install the rear 02 sensors. Also, I do not intend to remove the CATS, but if they are clogged up or failing, I will remove them. (There is a very slight rattling sound coming from the passenger side CAT... it may be my imagination, but I believe that CAT may be failing...)

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Your cats are dead, remove them NOW!!! :D hahahaha, just believe me, they're dead, now get 'em gone.

To do the pcv delete, all you're doing is tracing the lines from your valve covers to your intake. Remove them from your intake and plug the hole(use a rubber line nipple), then remove other end from your valve covers and insert push-in, screw-in, or whatever type valve cover breather you think fits best.

What i did, was I first checked the auto parts house for a big selection in fittings, then after finding the right place, I did the conversion in the parking lot so i could go in and compare plugs and such to make sure i grabbed the right part the first time.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Your cats are dead, remove them NOW!!! :D hahahaha, just believe me, they're dead, now get 'em gone.

To do the pcv delete, all you're doing is tracing the lines from your valve covers to your intake. Remove them from your intake and plug the hole(use a rubber line nipple), then remove other end from your valve covers and insert push-in, screw-in, or whatever type valve cover breather you think fits best.

If they really are gone, I think I am going to replace them with Magnaflow hi-flow cats. I looked up videos of GMT's without cats online, and I am not especially fond of the sound. I hope they still have some life in them, but I doubt it.

Hmm, PCV delete sounds worth looking into. Will it set off a code?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If they really are gone, I think I am going to replace them with Magnaflow hi-flow cats. I looked up videos of GMT's without cats online, and I am not especially fond of the sound. I hope they still have some life in them, but I doubt it.

Hmm, PCV delete sounds worth looking into. Will it set off a code?

Yeah, it probably would be best since the 96+ are high flow from the factory, and I've done pcv delete on all my vehicles and the only one that ever tripped a code was the '03 buick.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I agree to a point, getting above 18mpg in an older V8 is just nonsense. However, with my limited budget, I cannot afford to get below 14mpg-ish. It doesn't matter how much power it has if it just sits in my driveway out of gas.

Found the intake plug: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12556596/

Not really. The interesting thing about pre-96 engines is the PCM has a dedicated lean cruise table that's not enabled by default from the factory. Simply patching the code will enable it (in essence it's a quasi-open loop mode that adds spark and trims fuel to the neighborhood of 16:2:1 stoich and cycles in and out to protect the catalytic converter) and with a few tweaks to the time the engine actually spends in lean cruise, you'd be shocked at the economy you can squeeze out of an old v8. Especially with the small cam and swirl port heads on TBI engines. I've been able to squeeze 510 miles out of one tank by keeping my cruise at 65 and running light. That's just a hair north of 23mpg, with some differentiation in the amount of fuel refilled taken into account.

Yes, I know about the paint burning off. Unfortunately, I could not afford the extra $400 to get the ceramic coated versions. These will have to do for awhile. Who knows, an engine swap may be in store for this truck.

Edited.

I did more reading on the forums and spent some time crawling under the truck. I need to have that 02 sensor drilled out and installed, and I need to have an identical one welded to the other header to run with my Vortec. I simply will not install the rear 02 sensors. Also, I do not intend to remove the CATS, but if they are clogged up or failing, I will remove them. (There is a very slight rattling sound coming from the passenger side CAT... it may be my imagination, but I believe that CAT may be failing...)

Remember to have it requested for your rear O2 sensors to be tuned out when you get it tuned. Might as well replace your upstream O2s while you're at it.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really. The interesting thing about pre-96 engines is the PCM has a dedicated lean cruise table that's not enabled by default from the factory. Simply patching the code will enable it (in essence it's a quasi-open loop mode that adds spark and trims fuel to the neighborhood of 16:2:1 stoich and cycles in and out to protect the catalytic converter) and with a few tweaks to the time the engine actually spends in lean cruise, you'd be shocked at the economy you can squeeze out of an old v8. Especially with the small cam and swirl port heads on TBI engines. I've been able to squeeze 510 miles out of one tank by keeping my cruise at 65 and running light. That's just a hair north of 23mpg, with some differentiation in the amount of fuel refilled taken into account.

Do you know where this is in $0D? I didnt see it in my XDF. I have it turned on and functioning in my Beretta with $A1 (verified by the wideband), and I'd like to enable it for the truck.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Do you know where this is in $0D? I didnt see it in my XDF. I have it turned on and functioning in my Beretta with $A1 (verified by the wideband), and I'd like to enable it for the truck.

IIRC you need to look for "Open Loop AFR Enable." When I get to my laptop I'll see if I can find where I flagged the values. It's been months since I've dug that far into my tune. One curious thing though, it may be all in my head but I swear when I had my old ECM (7747, $42) it had better highway manners than the 7427 currently does. It doesn't run bad, just "different" if that makes any sense.