Ecm/prom question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did some searching in the chips thread and in general, found a few but not quite what I was looking for. I know it has to have been answered before but just can’t find it.

I have a customer that has a 94 k1500 4.3 and manual transmission. He swapped in a 5.7, his donor truck being an 88 the ecm is not the same.
having a hard time finding a prom or memcal chip for a 94 manual trans v8 truck. Does anybody have a gm part number for one?
Or will the 4.3 chip do the trick as is, albeit not quite the best option but one the can get him to work and back.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That 6395 is what was pulled from the truck, buddy at the gm dealer confirms via vin# that it is the correct part it left the factory with. 4.3 v6 5spd truck. What he can’t tell me as gm no longer has the information listed is what prom/memcal chip part number is for a similar truck with a 5.7 engine. The ecm number being the same, but chips differ.

Customer has no interest in custom programming, (which may land him out of luck ha) is why I am searching for the oem chip for a 5.7 5spd truck.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure the list of bins isn't totally complete there (maybe the 4.3 or 5.7 stick weren't very popular). They just post whatever they can find that's a known, good, stock bin. I tried but, couldn't find anything that's a direct replacement, sorry I can't help.:33:

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure the list of bins isn't totally complete there (maybe the 4.3 or 5.7 stick weren't very popular). They just post whatever they can find that's a known, good, stock bin. I tried but, couldn't find anything that's a direct replacement, sorry I can't help.:33:

I appreciate the help.
Maybe you can explain a few things, what exactly is a bin? Or any of the other short forms they use over there. (A little over this guys head lol)

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what exactly is a bin?
.bin Binary file, Broadcast Code AKA BCC, or Calibration, which is loaded on your chip or EPROM, is that 4 letter designation usually printed on top of the chip. Yours is probably the one on the left and the one from the 88 is on the right.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a dictionary that will help. You can scroll down to the bottom to find a more complete list in alphabetical order.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/efi-dictionary.html

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that!

So the broadcast code is what I’m after for this chip.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I have a chance tomorrow I will pull the ecm out of my truck and get the info you are looking for as long as the ecm 95 is the same as a 94.