Ear Busting whine coming from Rearend at 70mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agent319

Reaction score
I'm getting a very loud whine coming from my rear end at 70mph. Anyone want to take a guess at what it is?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What he said ^

When that happened on my 78 the pinion nut had backed off and it killed the bearings and gear set....

agent319

Reaction score
I've owned it a couple of years and it's getting louder and louder. Fluid level when checked a couple months ago look ok. I didn't pop the cap but I'm going this weekend.

agent319

Reaction score
that was awesome...lol

Har Har Har that was a good one. Come on I'm down and out here boys while you guys in your fancy trucks all sitting pretty. This issue could be a big deal my truck may blow up.

No really guys I like the light heartedness really do. But if we are changing the subject about bad dinners... nothing is worse thant the s*@ts after a Chinese buffet dinner.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your truck aint gonna blow up due to a bad rear end, might blow it out or up but not the truck or the motor. UNless it lets go and you over rev the thing or something.

Take it apart and check it all out. We had an s-10 roar or whine bad and turns out the spider gears were worn down badly, changed them and it fixed it.

agent319

Reaction score
your truck aint gonna blow up due to a bad rear end, might blow it out or up but not the truck or the motor. UNless it lets go and you over rev the thing or something.

Take it apart and check it all out. We had an s-10 roar or whine bad and turns out the spider gears were worn down badly, changed them and it fixed it.

Well I didn't get to open the differential yesterday and I'm booked solid. But I did have enough time to jack it up and spin the tires. When I turn the tires I hear a light constant "tennis shoe" squeak at the back end of the transmission of the 700r4. Nothing coming from the Diff or wheels.

Then I turned the engine on and let it run at idle but I could nothing. I didn't rev it up though.

You know I need to get her back on the street because come to think about it I can't remember if the sound goes away if I'm running at 70mph and let off the gas if the sound goes away. I'll try that and see if the whinning is still there. If it goes away it's the pinion... right?