Ear Busting whine coming from Rearend at 70mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my pinion nut backed off it was quiet under power/acceleration, but whined like crazy when I was coasting or decelarating

agent319

Reaction score
What he said ^

When that happened on my 78 the pinion nut had backed off and it killed the bearings and gear set....

If it or when it goes I'm just worried about the bearings freezing to their housings and unable to getting them out. But if it's a bearing which one? How many bearings in a rear end???

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled my axle out and had it rebuilt with a used set of gears so idk which bearing was bad.

There are six total, two for the pinion, two for the diff and one at each axle end. I had all mine replaced due to the metal in the housing. If you have been driving yours a while it could just be the spiders like someone else mentioned.....

agent319

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get back on this but my son has been driving it. But I drove it to work and the whinning is very pronounced from 65 to 75 and then suddenly is less pronounced above 75. I don't know if it hits a different "octave" at that speed but it is much quieter over 75. Also it does it coasting or in the throttle as well.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get back on this but my son has been driving it. But I drove it to work and the whinning is very pronounced from 65 to 75 and then suddenly is less pronounced above 75. I don't know if it hits a different "octave" at that speed but it is much quieter over 75. Also it does it coasting or in the throttle as well.
I would try to take a look at it or take it to a shop ASAP. When mine was doing that I ignored it for a while and then when i finally took it in found out that the pinion bearing was bad. Also, metal shavings from the bearing had worn down my ring and pinion gears to the point where they needed to be replaced and spider gears were serviceable but worn too. Good luck with it man