Dyno results: 30% improvement in HP and torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my truck run on the dyno at the local speed shop. This guy is into racing and very expensive cars. He had 10 race cars in his shop including an old Mclaren Can Am car, an original Shelby GT500, and GT500KR, and several UMP and late model type race cars. This guy is used to building 700+ HP Ford engines, so I knew I was not going to impress him. He is familiar with the 454 throttle body trucks, and he had run files from other customer's 454 trucks.

He assured me that it would be a miracle if my stock 1990 C3500 was making more than 150HP, 275 torque. I really wish I would have run mine in stock condition, but I just didn't want to spend the money. Anyway here are the results.

He told me the best he has ever seen an SS454 put to the rollers with the stock throttle body was 198HP, 291 torque.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the first run with my engine mods and the stock chip. I was a little scared at this point.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the second run with only changing the chip. This was a back to back run with the only difference being the chip.

Big thanks to Brian Harris at tbichips.com for the chip!

Last edited:

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the other customer's 1990 SS454 best run overlayed on top of my run.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 1990 SS454 was rated at a higher HP than the C3500, and his truck was modified to make the 198 HP figure. If I assume my truck was making 10% less HP and torque than his modified SS454, than my stock C3500 should have been about 175HP/261 torque. I think in reality my stock numbers could have been even lower than that. I'm really pissed at myself for not doing a before run. Oh, well.

Anyway, I should not be too far off to claim a 30% increase in HP/torque. The thing that I like is the torque curve comes on strong right where I want it. I wanted to see 400FT/LBS to the rollers, but I'm still satisfied and it drives and pulls great.

The Dyno guy said it was the best running throttle body 454 he has ever seen in his shop!

Last edited:

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what's the name of the shop and where is it located at? Does he have to dyno your truck to burn you a chip?

http://www.rrmotorsports.net/ He does not do chips for my truck.