Dyno results: 30% improvement in HP and torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I emailed the picture of the before and after results to Brian Harris at TBIchips, and I told him I thought he did a good job on the chip and thanked him. Here was his reply:

30% is a good gain for a mild setup that still retains a powerband very similar to stock. Comparing against a 454SS truck really isn't fair either as your truck is longer with longer heavier driveshaft. When I made the stock dyno pulls on project towbeast. 190rwhp 310rwtq I calculated a 25% loss through the heavy duty transmission and rear end to get the stock GM power numbers. 250hp and 400lbs of torque that came up pretty close.

On yours that puts your 244/344 combo at 325/458 with 25% drivetrain loss which I don't consider bad at all but you may be closer to a 30% loss with those bigger tires and longer driveshaft putting the numbers closer to 350hp 490lb of torque at flywheel numbers. Either way that is pretty good gain for such a mild build.

Anyway, I am going to drop a new chip in the mail with that fuel curve altered a bit to try and flatten out that AFR which could gain you another 10 ponies. not enough to really concern with dyno testing unless you just want to. make sure I get the old chip back after you verify the new one does ok.

I would really recommend Brian to anyone who wants more power out of their 90s TBI Chevy. Looking back on my project, he helped me with advice through email and really everything he suggested to me was excellent advice that worked. Be ready to spend some money, but I am very satisfied with his customer support and the end result of his advice.