Dual Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I think my truck came factory with two batteries. 1 has large gauge wires attached to it and I figured that must be the main battery to start the truck. The other one has some extremely small gauge wire attached to it and it runs to the back of the driver's side hood. The wiring appears to be factory, but I don't understand its purpose.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Bump.

Can anyone tell me how it is wired and why it is in here. I looked up my RPO codes and it came with this battery as an option.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Pics help. Is your truck a diesel?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Um, a year is at least needed before anyone can tell you anything.

The engine would also be helpful as diesels are different, as well as ambulance packages. These two variants came OEM with two batteries.

You can go to the wiring section of the forum and look up the charging diagram, which should tell you what you need to know.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Diesels came with dual batteries, wired in parallel with heavy guage wire for starting, many gassers have the tray for a second battery which makes it a very easy and popular upgrade. If there is just small wire running to/from it it may be just used for accessories.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Extreme cold weather for the cranking amps, high compression engine, etc...