DRW/SRW Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobabooie

Reaction score
So back in April I bought the truck I've wanted for 25 years. A black 98 CCLB DRW 7.4 Auto. The poor thing has been sitting for some time and the frame shows it's spent it's life in Ohio. Anyway, I found a suitable replacement frame from the same year/specs with the only exception of it being a SRW truck. I have started going over things and preparing for doing a frame swap after I replace some hangers, shock mounts and give it a few coats of Chassis Saver. But one thing that I've noticed is the rear springs are different. The DRW has fewer leaves in the stack vs the SRW. My question is, was this intentional/from the factory? Or is one set non OEM? If so, would there be any benefit to running the thicker springs from the SRW on a dually?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help on the springs, but make sure you take pictures of both frames where the VIN stamping is. Some states get picky about having all the VIN stampings matching; you'll want documentation that the old frame with matching VIN stamping was rusty, so there was a reason for replacing it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are the same frames, just the spring pack are different.

At least on the late GMT400, SRW vs DRW basic spring pack were the same (6 leafs), but the DRW had the overload spring (2 or 3, can't remember) with the little pads that bolt to the frame.

What you describe about your DRW having more leafs than the SRW doesn't seem right

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on what each truck was optioned with from factory would determine what leaf spring package was installed. Check the driver door wt. ratings and glove box gross and nets axle ratings and RPO option codes. More or less springs are not an actual indication of capacity, thats more a WAG. ( wild a## guess ) Presumably if has not been changed the Vin and RPO determines whats installed and capacity.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought they hade like 6-8 or even 12
pack leafs in the rear but im hns