Drum Resurfaced Finish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the drums on. Bed (break-in) the pads/shoes as advised by the manufacturer.

They'll be fine AFTER the shoes polish the drums some. The shoes may wear a bit faster until that point, but the excess wear may not take long to dimish as the drum surface polishes.

Overall, I'm not impressed with the workmanship of the drum-cutter. But what's done is done, and this isn't worth re-machining or changing drums.

Run it.

Don't go back to that shop (or at least that machine operator) the next time you need drums/rotors refinished.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blowing the picture up to that size shows a degree of roughness that I wouldn't have let a drum leave my lathe with. Bad thing is, the more you machine one, the more metal you're removing, even if it's just .002" cut. That's still 4 or 5 thousandths of metal that's not there to be used by normal braking action.
Agree. At least, assuming that the photo represents the actual surface roughness and isn't an optical illusion.

measure the piece in multiple spots, to try to see if it was out of round or warped. Bear in mind, they often are. So what I would do, is take a fast cut, but not deep. Just a couple thousandths. See where it's at true wise. Then take another fast cut, small as possible. Keep mic'ing it between cuts. A guy's coming to get his drums or rotors machined, it's likely because he can't afford new ones. So I will do what I can to save as much metal as I can. But this takes time and patience, and most machine shops or parts stores aren't going to have that
I did similar, but tried to estimate remaining machinable thickness of drum vs. deepest wear. I'd make at least one rough cut at my "best guess" depth...with the intention of a) not overloading the brake lathe by cutting deeper than it was capable of, b) staying within the machining limit of the drum, c) deliberately leaving some minimal scarring after this rough-cutting. As long as there was some non-machined area of the braking surface, I knew I hadn't accidentally machined excessively.

The light scarring would hopefully vanish during the final, fine cut. This fine cut was never in excess of the machining diameter of the drum. If there was a minor spot of scarring after the final cut...we didn't get too worried. Didn't seem to affect braking, and we saved some iron that would have otherwise gone beyond the machining limit.

And if it came out under/oversized, I had that in writing on the receipt, and we both signed off on it. Wrote the finished size on it with paint marker and on the receipt. CYA, and that way everyone can see you're doing your due diligence.
We never had to worry about marking oversizes on the receipt, or customer sign-off on oversized drums/thin rotors because we never cut them that far. We'd cut to the machining limit, but no farther.

TYPICAL machining limits for drums was .060. The typical "discard" limit cast or stamped into drums by Federal law was .090 over the original size. That meant that a remachined drum had .030 diameter that could wear away during the life of the new brake shoes.

TYPICAL machining limit for rotors was .030. Discard limit cast or stamped into the rotor would be another .015--.020 thinner. So again, having machined the rotor, the pads could wear the rotor some before hitting the discard limit. But rotors are so soft that in many cases they've worn beyond the machining limit, maybe even worn beyond the discard limit.

The discard thickness/diameter cast or stamped into the iron was the absolute authority, superseding all other conflicting information including the service manual. Our machining limits would adjust to suit the discard diameter.

I looked in the '97 Service Manual. They're saying they want a rotor surface finish no rougher than 60 RA. (But who has the kind of equipment to measure RA?) They're suggesting a non-directional surface finish using either 120-grit aluminum oxide sandpaper, or 150-grit aluminum oxide sandpaper on a sanding block, and to sand for a minimum of 60 seconds. I recall using finer sandpaper--hand-held 180-grit emery cloth comes to mind. The service manual says nothing about surface finish or sandpaper on drums. I'm surprised. All they say is that the crossfeed speed for the rough and the final cuts is the same as the rough (.006--.010) and final cut (.002) crossfeed speed for rotors. And we know that they think that after a final-cut and sandpaper, you'd achieve 60RA or better.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I very rarely had a drum or rotor that ended up oversized/ undersized, but when I did, it was duly noted on the piece and the paperwork. IIRC it was because someone wanted all the groove out, even though I warned them it would be past spec. Didn't happen very often.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pads can "track" in the grooves created from the drums being turned and clatter/make noise, someone previously mentioned a "record Player" which is a good analogy. If they don't sand them properly, take them back, do it by hand, or use something like the Performance Tool W80629.

wildwilly

Reaction score
OK so in real life things can get busy but I have finally finished the rear brakes. No results yet as I have another issue. After a test drive and bedding in the brakes it seemed the rear were probably a bit too tightly adjusted and were getting hot when I test drove again the next day with little to no braking and a short trip around even.

Initially I followed the service manual ... basically adjust for a slight drag and then back it off X number of teeth. It basically was about two full turns at the 30ish teeth clicks and it felt like most if not all of the little bit of drag was gone.

After the test drive, I then backed off two more full turns. Passenger side brake heating and all drag was gone. Drivers side has an issue. It seems as though the E-brake spreader bar is not letting the shoe seat. It looks like the E-brake cable is pulling on the lever a little too much.

I loosened the E-brake cable adjuster on the frame rail but that did not help. It did not seem to do anything. It almost seems like this adjuster only takes up some slack and then pulls in the passenger cable, nothing to the driver side. So I thought it was up under the cab and there is nothing there I could see to adjust. The E-brake pedal seems to go farther the floor than I recall even before I loosend the cable.

Last edited:

wildwilly

Reaction score
My only thought now is to put the old shoes back on to compare. Passenger side is good. The original puctures I took before the rebuild did seem to show a little of the parking brake lever pulled a little more on the drivers than the passenger side, but looks worse now than before. Any thoughts and tips? Thanks for all the help in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you see the spreader bar forcing the shoes apart (i.e., the lever at one end of the bar is being pulled by the park brake cable, the cable is not just SEIZED?)

If you have slack in the park brake cable farther up, but no slack at the brake shoe area, the rearmost cable is too stiff.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first got my truck, I had to put a pair of vice grips on the E-brake cable and pull some slack on the end of the cable that connects to the brake pads. Then I was able to properly adjust the brakes. I tried some cable lube but didn't work and ended up having to replace the cable.

wildwilly

Reaction score
Pretty sure it is a cable seized after these posts and some other reading. It looks like it is not too clear to me finding the right part. I found this post. Are these lengths correct? I have a 96 short bed k1500 extended cab with the larger rear drums.

Any advice on replacement cables?

THANKS.

Last edited: