Driveline vibration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure why I’ve had a “clunking” going into gear and a vibration at speed. I’m thinking these were still good for at least another 100k miles!

You must be registered for see images attach

The good news is that today I’ll be changing transfer case and differential fluids. That should almost wrap it up for maintenance items. Later in the week I’ll replace coolant, hoses, and belts then flush the brake fluid. THEN I’m done.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I’m not sure why I’ve had a “clunking” going into gear and a vibration at speed. I’m thinking these were still good for at least another 100k miles!

You must be registered for see images attach

The good news is that today I’ll be changing transfer case and differential fluids. That should almost wrap it up for maintenance items. Later in the week I’ll replace coolant, hoses, and belts then flush the brake fluid. THEN I’m done.
That looks like the u joints from the Burb! Year before last, Mom and I had noticed a little more vibration and noise than usual, for a day or two, then leaving work it got a LOT worse. Fortunately we weren't far from the shop I used to use, and they could do the job for $150 and in an hour or so. I could have done the job, but not as fast, and this was before I got the crew cab so we had nothing else to go to work in!

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't lie to yourself lol. There is no such thing as done. You will find something else to do.
Probably true. The reason we have six vehicles for only two drivers is that I really like to have something to tinker with. But at least all future projects SHOULD be things I WANT to do instead of catching up on things that I HAVE to do.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Probably true. The reason we have six vehicles for only two drivers is that I really like to have something to tinker with. But at least all future projects SHOULD be things I WANT to do instead of catching up on things that I HAVE to do.
At least that's how it's SUPPOSED to work LoL

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this from "Engines" to a more-appropriate section. I suggest Axles + Brakes since this forum doesn't have a section distinctly set up to include driveshafts.

(The '97 Service Manual includes a chapter on "Propeller Shaft and Axles", leaving Brakes as a separate section.)

Last edited:

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this from "Engines" to a more-appropriate section. I suggest Axles + Brakes since this forum doesn't have a section distinctly set up to include driveshafts.

(The '97 Service Manual includes a chapter on "Propeller Shaft and Axles", leaving Brakes as a separate section.)
Yeah… looked around and really didn’t find an appropriate place. Mostly I was just posting for the entertainment value. Maybe a Mod will just delete it (and me) completely. ;-)

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yeah… looked around and really didn’t find an appropriate place. Mostly I was just posting for the entertainment value. Maybe a Mod will just delete it (and me) completely. ;-)
Schurkey means well, he's just trying to help keep the forums organized and easier to use.....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah… looked around and really didn’t find an appropriate place. Mostly I was just posting for the entertainment value.

We do have a section for entertainment value threads and more general discussion of random topics called "The Lounge," but only full access members have access to it. Accounts are automatically upgraded to "full access" once they've been a member here for six months and made 100 posts. I could move this thread there for you but then you wouldn't be able to see it until August. Done that by mistake before... :lol:

I will go ahead and move the thread to "Axles + Brakes" as that seems logical, but no worries. Sometimes it isn't clear where the best place to post something is.