97 1500 4x4 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big nut

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem to me and has possibly found the solution. This has been an ongoing problem that I’ve tried to fix with no change. When driving in 2wd the truck is perfectly fine, shifts right into 4 hi and it gets a little strange. The truck vibrates at around 20+mph just driving in a straight line and has a clunking sound that can be heard at any speed. Also at anything more than like 1/2 crank on the wheel, I start to get binding either direction I turn. I’ve recently replaced the wheel bearings, cv axles, shocks, and inner/outer tie rods. So I’m narrowing it down to I believe the t case or front diff and I’m just wondering how I would go about checking which one is causing me these problems.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The binding in turns will be normal on dry pavement, the front and rear are going around different radiuses thus going at different speeds.

The Vibration at speed could be u-joints or an unbalanced driveshaft.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The binding in turns will be normal on dry pavement, the front and rear are going around different radiuses thus going at different speeds.
Yes.

It "could" be a lot of things. Front differential bearings/ring-and-pinion, transfer case are more possibilities.

Big nut

Reaction score

I understand the binding on the turns in dry weather but it does not matter what weather it is, muddy slop, ice, it still binds