Double din that doesn’t require cutting dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can make the factory radio and eq sound great with good speakers and a line converter from Audio Control. I did something similar with my factory radio in my 95. It’s plenty loud, crisp and tons of bass while keeping a nice clean factory look.

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@D-Day this is what I had to do with the 91... mind you look around one of the guys on here put a double din into an early dash, and moved the heater controls to under the vents

Attachments

• 20230729_150311.jpg
    20230729_150311.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 23

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here found the tread on that install

Redsled

Reaction score
So far the only option I can find is an Alpine Halo unit. It uses a single din mount and the floating screen is very adjustable. Downside is….that unit is quite pricey at $1200. There maybe be other brands with a similar set up and cheaper….? Ill spend $400-500 on a good head unit. But $1200 is a bit much for me.

I have a well cared for lower mileage 93 Blazer that I am upgrading. The rule I set for myself is NO cutting or permanent mods. The previous owner upgraded the factory speakers in the OEM location but nothing else. I plan to build a custom box for additional component speakers to tuck under the rear bench seat to help because the factory dash/rear speakers are just beyond inadequate.

For the head unit, since I want a double din unit (and not interested in the retro sound unit that mounts above the HVAC controls)- I see 2 options.
A - mount in the dash, but only if I can without cutting (or spending stupid $).
B - remove the OEM console and build my own custom console and install a double din unit inside that. This is more work, but easily removed and everything put back the way it was.

So right now I am researching Plan A before I go to plan B….

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far the only option I can find is an Alpine Halo unit. It uses a single din mount and the floating screen is very adjustable. Downside is….that unit is quite pricey at $1200. There maybe be other brands with a similar set up and cheaper….? Ill spend $400-500 on a good head unit. But $1200 is a bit much for me.

I have a well cared for lower mileage 93 Blazer that I am upgrading. The rule I set for myself is NO cutting or permanent mods. The previous owner upgraded the factory speakers in the OEM location but nothing else. I plan to build a custom box for additional component speakers to tuck under the rear bench seat to help because the factory dash/rear speakers are just beyond inadequate.

For the head unit, since I want a double din unit (and not interested in the retro sound unit that mounts above the HVAC controls)- I see 2 options.
A - mount in the dash, but only if I can without cutting (or spending stupid $).
B - remove the OEM console and build my own custom console and install a double din unit inside that. This is more work, but easily removed and everything put back the way it was.

So right now I am researching Plan A before I go to plan B….
What are the "sources" you are looking to use?
CD? Navigation?
Just stream audio via Bluetooth or thumb drive?
If you are dead set on a double din, maybe you can get the dash kit, modify it by removing the air vents and sliding the head unit up enough so you don't have to cut the dash. Have to figure out how to shuffle the air vents around, maybe some kind of custom grills from the aftermarket that are thinner.
This is something I'm considering doing, but feel free to go first!!!! Lol

Redsled

Reaction score
What are the "sources" you are looking to use?
CD? Navigation?
Just stream audio via Bluetooth or thumb drive?
If you are dead set on a double din, maybe you can get the dash kit, modify it by removing the air vents and sliding the head unit up enough so you don't have to cut the dash. Have to figure out how to shuffle the air vents around, maybe some kind of custom grills from the aftermarket that are thinner.
This is something I'm considering doing, but feel free to go first!!!! Lol
Just Spotify from my phone. Yeah I am dead set on a double din.

I called Crutchfield and the tech I talked to seemed pretty knowledgeable and suggested something similar to what you stated. In short, he had some trepidation about the Alpine floating screen models not being a direct drop in due to mounting depth and would probably require some modding. Albeit something inside the dash that wouldn’t be seen.

What he felt was my best option (based on my strict no dash cutting criteria) was the Sony XAV lineup because they place the chasis at the “upper half”. Thus once installed it wouldn’t infere with the AC vents. However, he noted a couple things to consider. First, currently there is no single din kit specifically for this install. However he did believe the single din kit I currently have for my Blazer could itself be modified to work. Second, the screen isn’t adjustable, so once installed the screen will be wherever it lands.

I am going to think about it a little more, but I think the Sony will work. I dont mind so much if the screen isn’t exactly perfect in terms of location/viewing angle. If I can modify the install kit and make it plug and play, Im game!

Last edited:

SilveradoRojo

Reaction score
Just get a joying 9 inch single din. No cutting and you get to adjust the screen with a couple screws on the back. Also has wireless carplay. I have mine set somewhere in the middle.
You must be registered for see images attach

D-Day

Reaction score
@D-Day this is what I had to do with the 91... mind you look around one of the guys on here put a double din into an early dash, and moved the heater controls to under the vents
I like your set up. I still might consider it. I'll also look for the double din in the original spot and move the heater controls.

D-Day

Reaction score
Here found the tread on that install