Floating Display Single Din

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dozerpilot

Reaction score
Weighing options for a new head unit in my 99 Suburban. The goal is to have Apple CarPlay so I can use iTunes and google maps. I keep going back and forth between the Metra double din bezel and cutting the dash, or going with a single din with a floating display.

It would be a fair bit of hassle to paint match the Metra bezel and cut into the dash support. It also seems like not all receivers fit the Metra bezel the same, with some looking worse than others.

Installing a single din adapter requires no cutting or fabrication, and the screen should cover the space around the adapter.

I just haven’t seen any images of the floating displays in the GMT400s. There are a few decent shots of them in the GMT800s. It seems like the trick is to find a display size that isn’t so big as to cover the vents or interfere with the shifter and HVAC controls.

What say the gurus? Any experience with the floating displays or other words of wisdom?

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No experience here with floating displays. I had a similar struggle and realized what I wanted was my phone apps and music. So, instead of a head unit with CarPlay I decided to delete the head unit all together and run an amp with bluetooth that connects to my phone to power music and podcasts over the speakers. For my apps I mounted a permanent phone fixture and charger under the brand iBolt.

dozerpilot

Reaction score
I just missed that same Pioneer head unit. It went out of stock right after I put it in my cart, lol.

Double din it is. I ended up ordering the Metra double din bezel and SEM paint.

I couldn’t find a floating display that didn’t give off big screen, trying too hard vibes. After reading a bunch of reviews, I ordered a Atoto A6. All of the big name stereos I looked at were out of stock, so without spending a grand, my options are kinda limited right now.

I was looking into the type of Bluetooth system like you mentioned for my CJ5.

I’ll post some pictures up of the fit/finish and how well the paint matches.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a double din Sony in my wife’s dually. No modifications to the inside of the dash at all. Just trimmed the bezel to fit. I just need to make a filler piece for the right side of the radio.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

dozerpilot

Reaction score
I finally got mine installed. I wanted to wait until I had my backup camera wired in so I wouldn’t have to keep removing the bezel.

Either the SEM version of “Light Neutral” is way lighter than GM’s, or I miss read my RPO code. It’s so far off, it looks intentional. I’ll spare myself another $28 can of paint and another week of waiting to run it as-is.

The HVAC controls must be original, because they were super brittle and didn’t take kindly to drilling or screwing. The Metra instructions were a little vague about relocating that module, but it’s pretty well jammed in there. I couldn’t screw it in, so it’s just an “interference” fit.

I’m really happy with the Atoto head unit so far. The interior is stripped to install a new carpet, so I haven’t spent much time messing with the stereo except to test it all out.

Attachments

• 310F2431-0DE6-41BA-B20D-B4C8B9606743.jpeg
    310F2431-0DE6-41BA-B20D-B4C8B9606743.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 9D8D53BE-9840-443E-A8EF-931F138A7EEF.jpeg
    9D8D53BE-9840-443E-A8EF-931F138A7EEF.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 164
  • BEA9CD30-8616-4138-8AB8-1D0FEF995C5C.jpeg
    BEA9CD30-8616-4138-8AB8-1D0FEF995C5C.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 164

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got mine installed. I wanted to wait until I had my backup camera wired in so I wouldn’t have to keep removing the bezel.

Either the SEM version of “Light Neutral” is way lighter than GM’s, or I miss read my RPO code. It’s so far off, it looks intentional. I’ll spare myself another $28 can of paint and another week of waiting to run it as-is.

The HVAC controls must be original, because they were super brittle and didn’t take kindly to drilling or screwing. The Metra instructions were a little vague about relocating that module, but it’s pretty well jammed in there. I couldn’t screw it in, so it’s just an “interference” fit.

I’m really happy with the Atoto head unit so far. The interior is stripped to install a new carpet, so I haven’t spent much time messing with the stereo except to test it all out.
Looks good

dozerpilot

Reaction score
Thank you. It’s the Atoto camera that popped up in the eBay recommendations.