Double din that doesn’t require cutting dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redsled

Reaction score
Look for a double din kit that does not require cutting the dash. Does anyone make one? I know there are floating set ups that use a single din mount, but from the ones I saw, the single din is on the “lower half” of the head unit, so the “upper half” of the unit appears it would partially block the AC vents?….

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For something requiring absolutely no cutting you may have no choice but to go the floating screen route.

For something requiring minimal cutting, units that don’t play discs generally have shallower bodies so don’t need as much cutting as a unit that plays discs that will go deeper into the dash structure.

Redsled

Reaction score
It’s looking that way. Im looking to see if there are any floating model head units where the mounting half is the top and not the lower.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a bit outside my wheelhouse, but the mounting on the back of this unit appears it would be adjustable vertically. It’s a 10 inch screen-not sure if that still could cause issues but at least appears to show some possible hope.

Also, thinking about when I installed my double DIN, the chassis and mount kit had a variety of combinations of attachment holes. Since the factory stereo was DIN and a half, maybe there is enough wiggle room to fine tune the vertical placement of the head unit within the dash?

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 9

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My son had this in his 98 and didn’t have to cut the dash behind the radio. He used a Metra dash bezel which partially obscured the top of the a/c panel. It had a template where you could lower the panel by adding screws into the plastic but we didn’t do that.

You must be registered for see images attach

This was the Metra dash bezel. I didn’t think it was worth the money - the clips didn’t fit well and the factory clips couldn’t be used on it in all places.

Last edited:

Redsled

Reaction score
Yeah i think the 95 and up had a 1.5 din from the factory, so that helps with this dilemma. Everyone with a 94 and older has a single din factory mount unfortunately.

I may give crutchfield a call and see if any of the floating models they sell are adjustable. If the final resting place of the screen is minimal to no blocking of the AC vents then Im golden!

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lot of the c5 corvette guys are using a android radio that fits in the 1.5din

Ops I just read and saw it’s for the square dash…

Last edited:

D-Day

Reaction score
Yeah i think the 95 and up had a 1.5 din from the factory, so that helps with this dilemma. Everyone with a 94 and older has a single din factory mount unfortunately.

I may give crutchfield a call and see if any of the floating models they sell are adjustable. If the final resting place of the screen is minimal to no blocking of the AC vents then Im golden!
I was looking into this kit for my '93

Redsled

Reaction score
I looked at that kit too. Then I read the installation instructions and saw where you have to cut your dash.