DOOR ROD DIAGRAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So on my 97 silverado I inherited having some issues.

The interior door handle was broke...then the exterior broke.

I got the door open one last time took the interior panel off and the metal panel. Put a new exterior door handle on without a lock cyclinder and then closed the door...well it looks like the rod did not hold and the exterior door handle is not working. Also when I am inside I am pullin on the door handle rod and it's not opening. The door is not locked...I can see the actualy going up and down but the door will not unlatch...anyone have any diagrams or anything. Like I said I have the whole interior of the door off but having a hard time popping the door open it's like its locked but it's not.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The exterior handle's rod pushes down on the latch to open the door. It's the rod that doesn't use an attaching clip at the bottom end, it just has a "ledge" that is larger than the hole in latch mechanism. You can reach in there and push it down with any number of narrow tools or a very strong bent coathanger. A flimsy one probably won't be strong enough. Careful not to contact the exposed edge of the window glass with anything metal as you can shatter it there; tempered glass is the most vulnerable at the edge.

Richard

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
here is a trick I started doing that will help keep the other ends of the rods from coming out of there clips.... take a piece of vinyl tubing about a half inch long, stick them on the rods and pull them up and over the clip once you connect the rods. the vinyl will have to disintegrate before the rod will ever pop out of its clip and I have only seen vinyl get destroyed with gasoline.

You must be registered for see images attach

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did that and the latch is pushing down but the door will not unlatch and open

haroldwca

Reaction score
Sounds like it's still locked.

Richard
I agree with Richard. If the release lever on the door latch is pressed down, the door opens. The only reason it wouldn't is if the latch is locked or suddenly broken, but broken usually happens over time. It's pretty tough to knock it out all at once. Can you reach inside the door shell and verify that the lock lever is functioning? (You might want to wear thin gloves.) If so, try pressing the release lever with the lock lever in both positions. If that doesn't work, your door latch is broken.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try that I was trying to slide the lock and unlock rod back and forth but that doesn't seem to work. The door is still locked

I can reach in there maybe manually unlock it. Although not sure what to push

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try that I was trying to slide the lock and unlock rod back and forth but that doesn't seem to work. The door is still locked

I can reach in there maybe manually unlock it. Although not sure what to push
The lock lever moves horizontally - if you carefully remove the outside seal from your passenger door (loosen your side mirror first so you can slide the seal out and unclip/lift it off the door) you should be able to shine a bright light down into the door and watch the part of the latch that the lock knob operates; give you a frame of reference as to what you're fishing for inside the driver door.

Richard