Dome/map light repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody have a good way to repair these lights so when you move them they dont turn off and on. Not wiring it's all good. Contacts are fine not sure if that's the whole issue but any tips I'm all ears..

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If they're flickering when you move the sockets, that indicates a loose or broken wire generally. The only way to be sure is to take the entire housing down (easy enough, two philips screws hold it up there, under the center dome cover). One wire from the socket goes to the switch, the other to a splice between the two that goes to the hot lead of the 3-pin connector. Another possibility is the contacts to the lights themselves have become corroded, or they've relaxed their spring tension somewhat, easy fix for that would be to remove the bulb housings and bend the contacts of the sockets down into the socket to make better contact with the bulb housings when you put them back in. Of course, don't over bend them lol.

Last possibility should not affect moving the sockets, but you could have corroded switch contacts as well. I want to say those switches CAN be taken apart without destroying them, but I don't have a set with me to be certain.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they're flickering when you move the sockets, that indicates a loose or broken wire generally. The only way to be sure is to take the entire housing down (easy enough, two philips screws hold it up there, under the center dome cover). One wire from the socket goes to the switch, the other to a splice between the two that goes to the hot lead of the 3-pin connector. Another possibility is the contacts to the lights themselves have become corroded, or they've relaxed their spring tension somewhat, easy fix for that would be to remove the bulb housings and bend the contacts of the sockets down into the socket to make better contact with the bulb housings when you put them back in. Of course, don't over bend them lol.

Last possibility should not affect moving the sockets, but you could have corroded switch contacts as well. I want to say those switches CAN be taken apart without destroying them, but I don't have a set with me to be certain.

Thanks for the tips. I'll double check everything. If I push them in and hold it, they stay on. The contacts do look fragile btw lol

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like they just need to be pushed back into the sockets slightly. They're real easy to access from the back with the entire set off the headliner so you don't have to dig in there with a screwdriver and try to pull them down lol.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you know how you twist the housing and the bulb comes down... there's 2 tabs that run those contacts. I dont have to bend the tabs right? Just the one on the main assembly?