Dome light and courtesy light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tornexted

Reaction score
I know there are other related posts to this but honestly I'm just too dumb to understand electrical schematics and stuff like that, so my issue here is that both my courtesy lights and dome lights stay on even after I shut my doors. I just replaced them both, as both were burnt and supposedly they burned out after one morning where my truck woke up with no juice in the battery. I have not replaced my door switches but ordered a pair online today, so I was wondering if the door switches are the culprit, or could it also be something else? The dial next to the head light switch when you dial it down, it brings the dome light to a dim shine but stays on like that forever. When dialed up, it shines 100%. It never just shuts off, even if you push in or out the override button. Any help is appreciated thank you.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The dial should have NO effect on the dome light, except when all the way up in the ON position, it'll turn on the dome lights. They should not dim with the knob.... Also you need to wait 25 seconds for the lighting module to time out after pushing in the override button to see if the lights go out, since the button is wired in series with the door switches (which by the way, are most likely your problem).

Try this just for S&G... If you wait 25-30 seconds and the lights still don't go out, pull the dash bezel and unplug the headlight switch.

Tornexted

Reaction score
The dial should have NO effect on the dome light, except when all the way up in the ON position, it'll turn on the dome lights. They should not dim with the knob.... Also you need to wait 25 seconds for the lighting module to time out after pushing in the override button to see if the lights go out, since the button is wired in series with the door switches (which by the way, are most likely your problem).

Try this just for S&G... If you wait 25-30 seconds and the lights still don't go out, pull the dash bezel and unplug the headlight switch.

The dial does exactly what you say, stays on when all the way up, and turns off when turned down, issue here is that it won't turn off 100%, it stays on dim, forever. This could probably be because I installed a 561 bulb instead of what's supposed to be there, so I'll be buying a proper bulb for the dome light to see if that corrects the issue. I really do hope it's an issue with the door switches, and not some complicated ground issue.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Kinda does sound like a potential ground issue... If you disconnect the door switches (both of them), will the light ever go out? If nothing else, while you wait for the switches, just pull out the Ctsy fuse so it won't eat your battery alive.

Tornexted

Reaction score
Kinda does sound like a potential ground issue... If you disconnect the door switches (both of them), will the light ever go out? If nothing else, while you wait for the switches, just pull out the Ctsy fuse so it won't eat your battery alive.

I will most definitely keep you updated after I get back on working on my truck again and receive the door switches in a couple days. Thanks for the help so far, really do appreciate the helping hand.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to check. Make sure the door switches are tightly mounted. I remember an earlier GM car that had that problem and it turned out to be that a door switch was loose in its mount shorted in either position. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Don’t know what year truck he has but my dial only turns on the interior lights when it’s pushed all the way up, past the click. Turns off by clicking down, and dims the cluster when you scroll it down.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Don’t know what year truck he has but my dial only turns on the interior lights when it’s pushed all the way up, past the click. Turns off by clicking down, and dims the cluster when you scroll it down.
They're like that all years. Only difference is 95+ have the dimmer knob built into the same housing as the headlight switch.

oak-wildwood

Reaction score
I had the same issue and it was my driver side door plunger switch. Super cheap and easy replacement.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hmm, when mine stayed on I was able to use the override button to shut it off. Finally I took the dash switch apart, cleaned it, and lubricated it, and it's been fine ever since.