Dog Tracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry if this is an issue addressed somewhere else, but I have a question.
I'm the new owner of a 1996 K2500 Suburban, and it seems to be dog tracking.
Is this a common problem? After I do some new steering components I plan on taking it to the collision shop for an alignment. Are these prone to bent frames?
Thanks for reading.
Smitty

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry if this is an issue addressed somewhere else, but I have a question.
I'm the new owner of a 1996 K2500 Suburban, and it seems to be dog tracking.
Is this a common problem? After I do some new steering components I plan on taking it to the collision shop for an alignment. Are these prone to bent frames?
Thanks for reading.
Smitty

Check the rear axle mounting for loose u-bolts, possibly broken centerbolt, spring eye bushings damaged, broken off spring eye bolt, etc.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
+1 to both of those guys. It's much more likely to be a problem in the back, than in the front. Most commonly, you have a centering pin broken on a leaf spring pack. While you're under there give your U bolts a good look over. GMT400 trucks are very well known to rot U bolts away at the backing plate.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.
I took a look at everything sun. night while I was replacing all of the rear brake lines. I didn't see any sign of moving parts, nothing shiny. The spring stack appears to be lined up good, and the pin still in place. I took a quick measurement from the front spring through bolt to the hub and only found an 1/8 in difference side to side. The guy I bought the truck from used the truck towing his 30ft camper and various enclosed race car trailers over the years. I'm wondering if the frame may have gotten a tweak over the years. I guess when I'm done replacing worn front end parts, I'll take it to the collision shop for an alignment, and they can check the frame for me.

In the meantime... I have a lot of noise coming from the front end, the sound is a lot like the sound rattling caliper and brake pads make, but I put new pads and fixed the caliper slides while I was doing the rear lines. The noise is no different. While the sound is that of rattling calipers, it sounds like its coming from farther back, maybe below my feet in the drivers seat.
I'm wondering if the Torsion bars and brackets start making noise on these things?!

Thanks again for the suggestions, and reading yet again, another post :D
Smitty

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
FWIW, there should be a difference between the front and rear axle track(width), if I am not mistaken.
My guess is that the front track should probably be about 3 to 4 inches wider overall than the rear.
I installed 1.75 inch wheel spacers/adapters on the rear of my k2500, that just about evens out the front and rear axle track for me.
That difference in track width might make it appear as if it is driving sideways.

...noise coming from the front...maybe below my feet in the drivers seat...

Topping out front suspension is something you might want to look for, esp if the torsion bars have been cranked to level:

You must be registered for see images

....When the suspension tops-out, the upper control arm hits the solid stop (circled above). There's only about 1.75" of droop available when the truck is sitting at normal ride height (as measure at the center of the hub), which isn't much at all. Cranking up the bars cuts into that precious little downtravel, and contributes to a harsher ride and poor handling. Additionally, the upper ball joint takes a hell of a beating whenever the suspension tops out, and it won't be long before it separates.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/06/the-autoblog-project-garage-lifting-my-gmc-k2500/