does this look fixable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does this damage look fixable without having to have major frame work done?

Attachments

• 00V0V_dtPlcSspZpg_600x450.jpg
    00V0V_dtPlcSspZpg_600x450.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 71

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ouch. Hard to tell from pics but you may be lucky to not have bent the frame horns. Definitely need a new core support.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes but. Start pulling it apart. Get the bumper off, then the hood, grill, radiator core support bracket. Then you can see how bad the frame horns are bent, if at all. The front part of the frame (horns) can be repaired with out affecting the tire alignment if it doesn't go to far back towards the tires. I wrecked my truck about 5 or 6 years ago. I was hit on the drivers side on the bumper and fender. It did bend the drivers frame horn a little. I took a torch and heated the bend, and beat it back with a large hammer, but keep in mind I am a welder and have been for many years. I could tell once I pulled the damaged parts off that the frame was only bent where the bumper brackets bolt up and it would be fixable with some heat and a big hammer. Once I had mine back together, I took it to the alignment shop and had it aligned with no issues. I would think you should be able to do the same with both frame horns, but you won't know for sure until you pull it apart.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Anything is fixable with enough time and money!

Pop open that hood and check the firewall, frame rails, steering components, engine accessories and block

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
A quick way to give you a good idea if its fixable

If the front wheels are still sitting straight, its a plus.
Measure the wheelbase (center to center), both sides....if they are the same, also a plus

If those check out, start taking it apart

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. Its not my truck. Its currently for sale in my general area. I was looking for a C1500 short bed truck to drop my 383/T56 into but the majority of the trucks around here ( New England) are rot boxes. Those that seem decent are either 4x4 or extra cab or 8 foot bed trucks. I'll see if the seller is willing to get me more pics. Thanks

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, almost anything can be fixed, but at what cost? New frames are still available for the 1/2 2wd, about $ 1200 online + truck freight, albeit only in 8 foot box. You might consider shortening a new frame to fit a short bed.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had a parts truck that met a pole with similar results. They threw the hood away which was stupid; it let water seep down the air cleaner bolt into the throttle body and corroded it solid. The grille miraculously popped back straight after the impact; guess that work truck style grille is more flexible!

You must be registered for see images attach

The one in your pic looks totally fixable, just be sure to factor in for sure the cost of: hood, grille, bumper, bumper brackets, bumper filler, valance, core support, evaporator core, headlights, park lights...and probably radiator, maybe fan shroud, can't see if the fenders are hurt, inner fenders may be damaged at the bottom where the core support attaches, hood latch, blah blah blah.

It starts to sound like a lot but if you can find a cheap parts truck for the front clip, you're set...

Richard

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks fixable...even if the horns are bent they can be fixed on a frame straightener..just be aware you might be putting more into the truck than its worth when said and done...but if you love it and plan to keep it go for it!