Does early ‘98 k2500 windshield wiper motor have a pulse board?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the early ‘98 k2500 windshield wiper motor have a pulse board? Here’s what the motor looks like. It’s different from the 1/2 ton.
The only thing works is on high.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperTramp

Reaction score
I found the first two pictures on the internet and I I believe they are for the 1/2 ton truck. The bottom picture is the wiper motor from my truck. I do not see where a pulse card would fit in my wiper motor. If you know otherwise, buying the card would be cheaper for me than buying a new motor. Thanks

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the first two pictures on the internet and I I believe they are for the 1/2 ton truck. The bottom picture is the wiper motor from my truck. I do not see where a pulse card would fit in my wiper motor. If you know otherwise, buying the card would be cheaper for me than buying a new motor. Thanks
Looks like it needs a pulse board, but just out of curiosity, which wiper motor did you take a picture of? If this is the driver's side, it looks like it may be the incorrect part if your wiper functions include delay function. If your truck doesn't have the delay function I don't bellerive it has a pulse board, but it does require a different wiper motor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SuperTramp

Reaction score
I think you just solved the mystery! - wrong motor installed. The motor (picture with cover removed) is mounted on driver’s side. WW motor was on truck when I purchased it. The only function the multi switch (stalk on the column) that works is high wiper speed. Stalk and VIN number indicates truck has intermittent setting. It never occurred to me that someone put the wrong part on before I purchased truck. In my opinion, you get the Damn Goos Diagnostic Dude award. I sincerely appreciate your help!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you just solved the mystery! - wrong motor installed. The motor (picture with cover removed) is mounted on driver’s side. WW motor was on truck when I purchased it. The only function the multi switch (stalk on the column) that works is high wiper speed. Stalk and VIN number indicates truck has intermittent setting. It never occurred to me that someone put the wrong part on before I purchased truck. In my opinion, you get the Damn Goos Diagnostic Dude award. I sincerely appreciate your help!

Let's hold the applause until you've put the new part in and everything works right, eh?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah and just for reference, there's no difference between wiper motors from 1500 and 2500, etc. :D Just whether the truck came with intermittent wipers or not, and it's super uncommon to find a later model GMT400 without intermittent wipers. That's an early model super stripped version situation and still not even common back then.

Also, 88-90 wiper motors look visibly different in regards to the circuit board arrangement; the style most are used to with the notoriously bad circuit board are from 91-up.

Richard

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah and just for reference, there's no difference between wiper motors from 1500 and 2500, etc. :D Just whether the truck came with intermittent wipers or not, and it's super uncommon to find a later model GMT400 without intermittent wipers. That's an early model super stripped version situation and still not even common back then.

Also, 88-90 wiper motors look visibly different in regards to the circuit board arrangement; the style most are used to with the notoriously bad circuit board are from 91-up.

Richard
^true^ I remember my old 91 had a pulse board problem as well.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
that motor looks like the early version that took a pulse module not a pulse board. I had one like it on my '88 K3500 and I converted it to from standard wipers to pulse wipers when I bought it new of from the lot.

The module plugged into the wiper motor between the harness plug and the motor. It looked something like this:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
that motor looks like the early version that took a pulse module not a pulse board. I had one like it on my '88 K3500 and I converted it to from standard wipers to pulse wipers when I bought it new of from the lot.

The module plugged into the wiper motor between the harness plug and the motor. It looked something like this:
Both styles exist. There's the 88-90 style motor with the integral circuit board; I've repaired a couple. They're a little more work to get the circuit board out, but they fail in the same way; solder joints on the harness socket crack.

Richard

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Both styles exist. There's the 88-90 style motor with the integral circuit board; I've repaired a couple. They're a little more work to get the circuit board out, but they fail in the same way; solder joints on the harness socket crack.

Richard
My point is that the very early wiper motors did not have a internal pulse board, It was a separate external module. It was changed early on to the pulse board style.