Do y'all think the brand of motor oil really matters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Gas is definitely not the same. Justin at BBP showed me on his computer the different numbers between cheap 93 octane and good 93 octane from Chevron or the like while we were driving my Tahoe.

This is good info. The octane rating of petrol has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel. The only quality that octane ratings measure is how likely the petrol is to detonate under compression.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
This is good info. The octane rating of petrol has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel. The only quality that octane ratings measure is how likely the petrol is to detonate under compression.

Oh yeah, we were comparing two of the same octanes.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Oh yeah, we were comparing two of the same octanes.

I realize that. That was the point of my post. Octane only rates how likely gas is to detonate under compression. It doesn't measure any other quality of the fuel.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
I just run Napa Crappa oil in mine it's just relabeled Valvoline. Hasn't given our old wrecks any issues, actually afraid to try other stuff after the rotella incident in our big rigs years ago.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
I just run Napa Crappa oil in mine it's just relabeled Valvoline. Hasn't given our old wrecks any issues, actually afraid to try other stuff after the rotella incident in our big rigs years ago.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it is relabeled Valvoline, but it may be made using the same base stock, as they both are made by Ashland. There is a reason its half the price, and that's because it doesn't have the same additives.

Last edited:

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far to say that it is relabeled Valvoline, but it may be made using the same base stock, as they both are made by Ashland. There is a reason its half the price, and that's because it doesn't have the same additives.

Yep what he said^^^^^^

My dirt car was sponsored by valvoline and I would go get my oil right from the warehouse here in Houston. The guy told me that carquest oil and napa was bottled by them but was the bottom of the barrel kinda oil.. the fun part of going there I was always told I could bring a truck every 3 month's and whatever I could fit in the bed I could have lol I was smiling all the way home with the bumper dragging the ground.. lmao.. then oil prices went ape nuts and got cut off...

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sold on Mobil 1. I had my 93 Camaro since new, and ran only Mobil 1 in it, changing it every 5K miles or so.. I had a valve cover off to get some clearance for header installation, which is the first time it's ever been opened, and this is what I found. It still has 25# of pressure at idle and looks new inside. This is at 110,000 miles, and as opened (untouched). I used 5w30 and AC Delco PF-35 filters until recently switching to PF-1218.

You must be registered for see images

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
I can see running something different while it's new/low mileage and sticking with it, but it seems like whenever I put oil with different additives into an old grumpy motor it just gets grumpier. At 164K with poor oil pressure at an idle (on the gauge at least) what would you guys suggest? Also how many miles should you go between oil changes? I got my dad whose been a diesel mechanic all his life telling me that this newer better oil is good for 5000 to 7000 miles and that changing it too early will cause detergent buildup in the motor. At 4000 now and gotta say I am surprised at how good my oil looks.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I can see running something different while it's new/low mileage and sticking with it, but it seems like whenever I put oil with different additives into an old grumpy motor it just gets grumpier. At 164K with poor oil pressure at an idle (on the gauge at least) what would you guys suggest? Also how many miles should you go between oil changes? I got my dad whose been a diesel mechanic all his life telling me that this newer better oil is good for 5000 to 7000 miles and that changing it too early will cause detergent buildup in the motor. At 4000 now and gotta say I am surprised at how good my oil looks.

Remember clean oil does not necessarily mean good oil. Oil gets dirty because the detergents are working and cleaning your motor, suspending the trash in the oil, turning it black.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
3000 for conventional, 4000-5000 for a synthetic blend, and 5000-8000 on a full synthetic, dependimg on your driving habits.

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2